Company: Methodist Health System
Posted on: September 24, 2022
- Purpose of Job
- Supports patient care delivery by providing clerical services
and Helps patients by supporting personal hygiene and daily living
needs; providing comfort, transportation, and vital sign
- Job Requirements
- High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED)
- Student nurse must have completed first clinical rotation -
- Requires successful completion of the 75-hour state approved
course for the Nurse Assistant if hired in the assistant position
after August 31, 2014.
- Requires membership in good standing on Nurse Aide registry of
the state where position is located if hired after August 31,
- Previous care giver experience preferred.
- Previous cleaning, food service and/or patient related
experience preferred, but not required.
- One to three months on the job experience to learn hospital
procedures and work routines preferred.
- Orientation and on the job experience will be provided to learn
hospital procedures and work routines.
- Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
strongly preferred at time of hire, required within 3 months of
- Requires the ability to understand and carry out instructions,
follow schedules, communicate information, read simple and clear
instructions and complete reports.
- Collects, records, and reports patient needs to the appropriate
- Requires ability to demonstrate critical thinking skills
commensurate with job description.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills necessary
to communicate with physicians, callers, visitors, patients,
family, and team members by verbal and written communication.
- Skills and knowledge to prepare reports, perform calculations,
keep records, and deal effectively with people.
- Medical terminology preferred.
- Ability to type 30 to 40 wpm. with accuracy.
- Ability to utilize a variety of computer applications, and look
at a computer screen 50-80% of the time.
- Ability to prioritize decision making.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Physical Activity
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Job Hazards
- Not Related:
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Rare (1-33%):
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat
Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared
and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or
photochemical means) - NICU Only
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors,
outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Hazardous Drugs (exposure risks, protective personal equipment
- Frequent (67%-100%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses)
(Jobs with Patient contact) Blood or Body Fluid (BBF)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
- Promotes positive impression and welcoming environment of the
unit through customer service.
- Greets and gives directions to patients, family members,
visitors, physicians, staff, and other customers.
- Maintains safe, clean and neat work environment.
- Has no food at reception area: all drinks must be covered.
- Promotes quiet environment at the reception desk and in the
- Demonstrates good communication style and interpersonal
communication skills with patients/families.
- Provides appropriate care specific to the age of the
customer/patient, to ensure understanding and comfort level of
treatment, as outlined in the Population Specific Criteria.
- Gives individualized customer service/patient care.
- Completes age specific competency assessment.
- Screens visitors according to protocols.
- Exhibits excellent interpersonal relations with patients,
co-workers, physicians, and guests to ensure effective
- Responds to patient needs promptly and courteously.
- Communicates feedback from patients and visitors regarding
their hospital experience to the appropriate staff.
- Maintains a positive attitude while responding to requests in a
timely and accurate manner.
- Communicates with other members of the health care team (food
service, secretaries, housekeeping, etc.) as indicated.
- Actively participates in report process.
- Consistently recognizes and utilizes measures to provide for
safe, efficient, patient care and work environment.
- Answers Call Lights in a timely manner and response to the
patient request and/or relays request to appropriate resource when
- Performs other duties as delegated/under the direction of the
- Assures coverage of all duties when self or other staff are off
the nursing unit.
- Assists other team members when own work is complete.
- Appropriately reports incidents.
- Utilizes Standard Precautions and Transmission-based
Precautions infection control techniques correctly and
- Adheres to policies and procedures.
- Directly responsible to the staff nurse and assists in the care
of the patient by performing delegated activities utilizing the
reciprocal process of the 4 Rights of Delegation.
- Right task (within the scope of practice, according to the job
description, and based on the desired outcome, task routine,
non-complex, low risk and predictable outcome).
- Right person (assess competency by certification/licensure, job
description, skills checklist, demonstrated skill).
- Right communication (clear, concise, correct, complete).
- Right feedback: The Reciprocal Process (timely, specific,
- Handles all general communication duties for the unit.
- Answers telephones promptly, courteously and with a smile;
identifies self and unit.
- Maintains and operates call system.
- Faxes information as required/requested.
- Makes unit announcements in a professional manner.
- Contacts caregiver promptly when patients have arrived.
- Maintains privacy and confidentiality of patients and staff
- Assists with maintenance of electronic medical records.
- Scans medical documents in a timely and accurate manner.
- Notifies appropriate consultant, adds to physician patient
list, and documents in medical record.
- Assists in maintaining medical records.
- Establishes the initial patient chart upon admission.
- Maintains chart documents according to protocol.
- Processes charts upon dismissal, breaks down chart so available
for HIM timely and accurately.
- Helps prepare records as appropriate for patient
- Performs other UNIT SPECIFIC duties as assigned by RN, Core, or
- Participates in mandatory inservices and continuing education
programs as required by policies and procedures/external agencies
and/or as directed by supervisor.
- Assists in keeping the environment clean and tidy.
- Assists with stocking as directed.
- Maintains, organizes, and stocks office supplies.
- Maintains, stocks, and organizes nutrition center
- Completes clinical activities identified in the patient's plan
of care to meet patients' comfort/activity/sleep needs and other
clinical patient needs as delegated by professional staff.
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Omaha , Secretary/Nursing Assistant, Administration, Clerical , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!