Company: Omaha Public Schools
Posted on: March 19, 2023
Job Title: Elementary Secretary Reports To: Building
PrincipalWork Schedule/FLSA Status: Full-time - 8.0 hours a day, 10
month / Non- ExemptSalary Schedule: This is a negotiated position.
Wages are administrated consistent with the negotiated agreement.
Position Purpose: Performs a wide variety of duties, some of a
confidential nature. Performs general secretarial duties which may
be required but not limited to answering phones, basic computer
functions, typing, filing, copying, distributing mail,
proofreading, etc. Provides monitoring of students as needed.
Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Receives direction and support from Building
- Responds to walk in, telephone, doorbell, and intercom customer
services needs in a timely, positive, and responsive way.
- Manages office reception area including sign-in, waiting area
capacity, and escorting visitors.
- Creates reports and records data as appropriate.
- Creates spreadsheets, programs, rosters, certificates, lists,
letters, and other word processing documents.
- Works with staff to distribute student, parent, and staff
communications through phone, email, US mail, and school messenger
- Assists with coordination student drop off and pick up.
- Completes copy requests for teachers and administrators as
- Uses intra-school communication systems including radio,
intercom, various alarms, paging, etc. as required.
- Uses mail merge function to create labels, certificates,
mailings, and files regularly.
- Processes free and reduced lunch applications.
- Processes and files student and building facility forms as
- Prepares daily announcements as directed.
- Maintains conference room calendars.
- Follows oral and written directions accurately.
- Sorts and distributes USPS and interschool mail.
- Assists with special projects as required.
- Serves as a backup for other office staff. Additional Duties
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the principal or other
administrative staff as designated by the Superintendent.
Equipment: This position requires the ability to use basic office
equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax machine.
Must always comply with OPS's guidelines for equipment use. Travel:
Limited travel may be required. Physical and Mental Demands, Work
- Works in standard office and school building environments
- Occasional overtime may be required by the supervisor
- Must have organization, time management, communication, and
- Ability to read and use information from written materials and
- Ability to work in standing/walking positions on a frequent
basis throughout the work shift.
- Ability to bend, kneel, stoop and maintain balance while
performing job related tasks.
- Ability to work outdoors during outdoor student activities
- Additional demands may be required upon request from the
- Contact with personnel within the district and with customers
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the department
supervisor in order to complete day to day tasks.
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability
to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and
maintain a positive attitude with all customers and
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers
in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive
customer service. Employee Punctuality and Appearance
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are
expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled
hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has
received approved leave.
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from
the employee's supervisor or building administrator.
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a
manner that reflects a positive image of Omaha Public Schools and
is appropriate for their position. Knowledge, Skills, and
- A High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required.
- Previous experience working in an office setting is
- Previous experience working in a public school setting is
- Proficient PC computer knowledge is required.
- Demonstrate proficiency of the English language to read and
communicate with others.
- Demonstrate proficiency of the Spanish language to read and
communicate with others is preferred.
- Knowledge of District computer software preferred.
- Ability and patience to work with students and parents.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the ability to take initiative and
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrate a positive attendance record and prior work
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Displays a significant degree of professionalism and
- Knowledge of OPS's mission, purpose, goals and the role of
every employee in achieving each of them. Terms of EmploymentThis
position is treated as a full-time non-exempt classified position.
The terms of your employment will be governed by applicable state
laws regulating employment in a Nebraska public school and Board of
Education policies, as those laws and policies may change from time
to time. If your position is represented by a collective bargaining
representative, then your employment will also be governed by a
negotiated agreement between OPS and that collective bargaining
representative. The offer of employment is contingent upon:
- Obtaining and providing verification of all licenses,
certificates, and other requirements for the position (e.g.,
Paraprofessionals obtaining Highly Qualified status, etc.), as
identified and maintaining all licenses, certificates, and
requirements for your position throughout employment.
- A background check which demonstrates to OPS that background is
acceptable for the position.
- Verification of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work
in the United States.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (if
required for position offered).
- Successful completion of a tuberculosis skin test (if required
for position offered).
- Successful completion of a pre-employment medical examination
to determine ability to safely and effectively perform the
essential functions of the position. Omaha public schools does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin,
religion, sex (including pregnancy), marital status, sexual
orientation, disability, age, genetic information, gender identity,
gender expression, citizenship status, veteran status, political
affiliation or economic status in its programs, activities,
employment, and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other
designated youth groups. The following individual has been
designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination
policies: Director for the Office of Equity and Diversity, 3215
Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131. ) The Omaha Public School District
is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in
its services, programs, activities, education and employment for
individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation
in the application process please contact the human resources
department at .
Keywords: Omaha Public Schools, Omaha , Elementary Secretary, Administration, Clerical , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...