Elementary Assistant Principal; Gomez Heritage
Company: Omaha Public Schools
Posted on: May 15, 2022
Job Title: Elementary Assistant Principal Location: Gomez
Heritage Elementary, 5101 South 17th St., Omaha, NE 68 Reports To:
Building Principal Work Schedule/FLSA Status: 10 month/ Exempt
Salary Schedule: Salary commensurate with degree and experience
Position Purpose: The Elementary Assistant Principal assumes joint
responsibility with, and is under the direction of the principal
for the effective administration of the school and all facets of
its instructional program. Under the direction of the principal,
this individual assumes responsibility for the ongoing development
and management of the schools programs. Under the direction of the
principal, this individual assists in the supervision of all
certified and non-certified staff assigned to the school and
assists by providing leadership in establishing expectations for
student attendance, conduct and learning performance. This
individual will exhibit strong standards of professional ethics
when relating to staff, students, parents, administration, and the
community. Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Keep abreast of developments in elementary school curriculum
and instruction and assist in providing leadership in determining
the appropriateness of incorporating recent strategies.
- Maintain the districts overall mission, assist in supporting
and implementing board policies and the academic action plan school
wide with staff and students.
- Assist in the development and support of curriculum and
instructional growth to enhance the educational opportunities for
- Under the direction of the principal, assist in providing
- Monitor and use relevant data to effect change in instructional
practices enhancing student learning.
- Maintain effective communication with all supporting divisions
within the Omaha Public School district as well as staff, students
- Assist in the maintenance of accurate budgetary information
essential to the running of the educational programs and
- Assist in providing leadership for a collaborative team to
ensure that curriculum and instructional initiatives are student
focused and aligned with the District's mission and beliefs and
school goals and improvement plans.
- Works collaboratively with the Principal and Leadership staff
in conducting teacher observations, instructional coaching visits
and providing feedback for continuous growth.
- Adhere to the district evaluation process related to both
classified and non-classified staff.
- Ability to work outside of normal business hours or weekends to
participate and supervise school events. Additional DutiesPerforms
other related tasks as assigned by the Building Principal and
central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Equipment: This position may require the ability to use basic
office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax
machine. Must always comply with OPS's guidelines for equipment
use. Travel: Travel between schools and central offices will be
required. Occasional travel outside of Omaha or Nebraska may be
required. Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Must be able to respond rapidly in emergency situations
- Must have organization, time management, communication, and
- Work in school building environmentsInterrelations:
- Contact with personnel within the district and with customers
- Will be working under the indirect supervision of the executive
director in order to lead individual buildings to meet goals as
outlined by the district, state and building.
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability
to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and
maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers
in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive
customer serviceEmployee Punctuality and Appearance:
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are
expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled
hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has
received approved leave.
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from
the employee's supervisor or building administrator.
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a
manner that reflects a positive image of Omaha Public Schools and
is appropriate for their position.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Minimum of a Masters Degree with major emphasis in educational
administration and supervision required.
- A valid Nebraska Administrative Certificate with endorsement in
the area of administration and supervision.
- Minimum of five (5) years of successful teaching experience
required with urban experience preferred.
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of the philosophy, purpose
and function within an urban school district.
- Demonstrates an empathy for helping to lead a strong diverse
urban educational environment.
- Demonstrated philosophy that all students can and will
- Demonstrated record of success which exemplifies instructional
leadership, standards of academic excellence and personal
- Knowledge of current educational trends/issues impacting the
- Realizes the importance and models the use of current
technology in the educational environment.
- Budgets school time to provide for the efficient conduct of
school instruction and business.
- Demonstrates the promotion of life-long learning by assisting
in providing pertinent professional development in both the
academic curriculum as well as cultural proficiency and awareness
of understanding diversity.
- Assists in Implementing Board policies and the Academic Action
Plan School wide for the staff and students.
- The skills pertinent to positive human relationships and the
ability to work effectively with students, members of the
instructional staff and the community.
- Continuous quest for quality education. Terms of EmploymentThis
position is treated as a full-time exempt certified position. The
terms of your employment will be governed by applicable state laws
regulating employment or teaching in a Nebraska public school and
Board of Education policies, as those laws and policies may change
from time to time, and the Administrative Contract. If your
position is represented by a collective bargaining representative,
then your employment will also be governed by a negotiated
agreement between OPS and that collective bargaining
representative. Terms of employment are contingent upon:
- Verification of a valid Nebraska Administrative License or
other required license.
- A background check which demonstrates background is acceptable
for the position sought and working with or around students.
- Verification of U.S. Citizenship or legal authorization to work
in the United States.
- Successful completion of a tuberculosis skin test (if required
by federal law for your position).
- Execution and delivery to OPS of an Adminstrative Contract
presented by OPS. Omaha Public Schools does not discriminate on the
basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including
pregnancy), marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age,
genetic information, gender identity, gender expression,
citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or
economic status in its programs, activities, employment, and
provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth
groups. The following individual has been designated to handle
inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director for
the Office of Equity and Diversity, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE
68131. ) The Omaha Public School District is committed to providing
access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs,
activities, education and employment for individuals with
disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the
application process please contact the human resources department
Keywords: Omaha Public Schools, Omaha , Elementary Assistant Principal; Gomez Heritage, Education / Teaching , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!