Mentor Teacher (Hourly)
Company: Omaha Public Schools
Posted on: March 19, 2023
Job Title: Teacher Mentor (Hourly)
- This is an hourly temporary position, not a full-time
- It is not part of our Take Flight Mentor Program or Onboarding
Mentoring that our current employees participate in.
- Current employees are not eligible for this temporary hourly
position.Location: As Assigned by OPS Administration Reports To:
Human Resources Administrator Work Schedule/FLSA Status: Hourly -
less than 20 hours per week / Non-Exempt Salary Schedule: $28.50
per hour Position Purpose: Provides mentoring and coaching to
student teachers and first year teachers in Omaha Public Schools.
The mentor can discuss best practices, coach staff on observed
lessons, and work collaboratively with teachers to implement best
practices. Essential Performance Responsibilities:
- Mentor student teachers and/or first year teachers in a variety
of areas depending on the needs on the individual which could
include brainstorming and problem solving, recording keeping,
classroom management, best practices in instruction and behavior
- Ability to analyze teacher practices through classroom
observations, data analysis and student work to guide coaching and
provide feedback to the individual.
- Evidence of the willingness and the ability to comply with the
standards for ethical and professional performance established by
district policy as well as the State Board of Education.Knowledge,
Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's Degree in Education is required.
- An active Nebraska Teaching Certificate is preferred, but not
- 5 or more years of successful public school teacher experience
is required; urban teaching experience preferred.
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational
- Ability and patience to work interactively with teachers.
- Skill in organization, time management, communication, and
- Excellent skills in verbal and written communication;
collaborative coaching style.
- Ability to effectively use computer systems such as Microsoft
Outlook, Infinite Campus, etc.
- Displays a significant degree of professionalism and
- Ability to conform to proper standards of professional dress
- Knowledge of OPS's mission, purpose, goals and the role of
every employee in achieving each of them.Additional Duties:
Performs other related tasks as assigned. Equipment: This position
may require the ability to use SMART boards and iPads in addition
to basic office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and
fax machine. Must always comply with OPS's guidelines for equipment
use. Travel: Limited travel may be required. Physical and Mental
Demands, Work Hazards:
- Must be able to respond rapidly in emergency situations.
- Must have organization, time management, communication, and
- Work in school building environments.Interrelations:
- Contact with personnel within the district and with
- Will be working under the supervision of Human Resources in
order to complete day to day tasks.
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability
to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Understands and responds appropriately to stakeholder needs and
maintains a positive attitude with all stakeholders.
- Expected to interact with all stakeholders in a friendly,
professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer
service.Employee Punctuality and Appearance:
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are
expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled
hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has
received approved leave.
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from
the employee's supervisor or building administrator.
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a
manner that reflects a positive image of Omaha Public Schools and
is appropriate for their position.Terms of Employment: This
position is treated as a non-exempt certified position. The terms
of your employment will be governed by applicable state laws
regulating employment or teaching in a Nebraska public school and
Board of Education policies, as those laws and policies may change
from time to time, and the Teacher Contract. If your position is
represented by a collective bargaining representative, then your
employment will also be governed by a negotiated agreement between
OPS and collective bargaining representative. Terms of employment
are contingent upon:
- Verification of a valid Nebraska Teaching License or other
- A background check which demonstrates background is acceptable
for the position sought and working with or around students.
- Verification of U.S. Citizenship or legal authorization to work
in the United States.
- Successful completion of a tuberculosis skin test (if required
by federal law for your position).Omaha Public Schools does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin,
religion, sex (including pregnancy), marital status, sexual
orientation, disability, age, genetic information, gender identity,
gender expression, citizenship status, veteran status, political
affiliation or economic status in its programs, activities,
employment, and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other
designated youth groups. The following individual has been
designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination
policies: Director for the Office of Equity and Diversity, 3215
Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131. ) The Omaha Public School District
is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in
its services, programs, activities, education and employment for
individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation
in the application process, please contact the Human Resources
Department at .
Keywords: Omaha Public Schools, Omaha , Mentor Teacher (Hourly), Education / Teaching , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...