Company: Omaha Public Schools
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Job Title: Homebound Teacher (Applicant Pool) If you are
interested in a position for the current school year or the
upcoming 2023-24 school year, please complete this application to
be considered. We use pool postings throughout the entire calendar
year to interview and hire teachers. Location: Teacher
Administrative Center, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131 Reports
To: Director of Special Education Work Schedule/FLSA Status: 188
Day as per negotiated agreement / Exempt Salary Schedule: As
outlined in applicable negotiated agreement Position Purpose: The
Homebound Teacher will serve school aged children who have been
excluded from school for a variety of reasons, or are enrolled the
Virtual School in OPS.This position includes working with students
in Douglas County Youth Center (DCYC) and other Rule 18 schools.
The teacher will also work with the classroom teacher to provide
instruction that attempts to keep the student with his/her class.
These students are verified with a disability through the
Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) process, while in the Homebound
program. Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Provide specialized instruction as outlined on the IEP
- Collaborate with the traditional school to maintain progress in
general education courses
- Provides services in homes, hospitals, and virtually
- Maintain compliance on all special education procedures,
timelines, and documents such as Individual Education Program
(IEP), progress reporting, parent notification, consents,
evaluation process, etc.
- Continuous assessment and evaluation of progress toward
Individual Education Program (IEP) goals.
- Plans for and guides the learning process to help students
achieve their program objectives
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and
translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best
utilize the available time for instruction.
- Establishes a cooperative relationship with all assigned
- Maintains open lines of communications with parents, guardians
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete
record-keeping and lesson planning and student progress toward IEP
goals as required by district procedures and applicable laws
- Developing students' cognitive, emotional and social capacities
- Positively fosters students' self-esteem.
- Working with and understanding a diverse student
- Selects and uses effective instructional methods and learning
- Engages in professional growth activities through an ongoing
program of job related knowledge and skill development.
- Evidence of the willingness and the ability to comply with the
standards with ethical and professional performance established by
district policy as well as the State Board of Education.
- Works collaboratively to achieve the overall purpose of the
program and support the District's vision, aims and
goals.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's Degree in Special Education required
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid NE Teaching Certificate
with endorsement in Special Education, required.
- A minimum of five (5) years successful teaching experience in a
special education are preferred.
- Professional verification of successful teacher performance
and/or student teaching experience.
- Evidence of the willingness and ability to comply with
standards for ethical and professional performance established by
the State Board of Education.
- This individual will exhibit skills pertinent to foster
positive human relationships and the ability to work effectively
with students, staff, parents and the community.
- Skill in organization, time management, communication, and
positive interpersonal skills.
- Excellent attendance record.
- Ability to conform to proper standards of professional dress
- Excellent skills in verbal and written communication.
- A demonstrated philosophy that all students can and will
- Ability to understand the individual needs of each
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft Outlook and the student
- Displays a significant degree of professionalism and
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding
education and special education students.
- Knowledge of OPS's mission, purpose, goals and the role of
every employee in achieving each of them. Additional Duties
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Central Office
Administrators as designated by the Superintendent. Equipment: This
position may require the ability to use assistive technology in
addition to basic office equipment such as computers, copiers,
scanners, and fax machine. Must always comply with OPS's guidelines
for equipment use. Travel: Travel will be required daily to
locations to serve students (ie: hospitals and homes). Physical and
Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Must be able to respond rapidly in emergency situations.
- Must have organization, time management, communication, and
- Work in school building environments. Interrelations:
- Contact with personnel within the district and with customers
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the department
supervisor in order to complete day to day tasks.
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability
to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and
maintain a positive attitude with all customers and
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers
in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive
customer service. Employee Punctuality and Appearance
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are
expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled
hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has
received approved leave.
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from
the employee's supervisor or building administrator.
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a
manner that reflects a positive image of Omaha Public Schools and
is appropriate for their position. Terms of EmploymentThis position
is treated as a full-time exempt certified position. The terms of
your employment will be governed by applicable state laws
regulating employment or teaching in a Nebraska public school and
Board of Education policies, as those laws and policies may change
from time to time, and the Teacher Contract. If your position is
represented by a collective bargaining representative, then your
employment will also be governed by a negotiated agreement between
OPS and that collective bargaining representative. Terms of
employment are contingent upon:
- Verification of a valid Nebraska Teaching License or other
- A background check which demonstrates background is acceptable
for the position sought and working with or around students.
- Verification of U.S. Citizenship or legal authorization to work
in the United States.
- Successful completion of a tuberculosis skin test (if required
by federal law for your position).
- Execution and delivery to OPS of a Teacher Contract presented
by OPS. Omaha Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic
information, gender identity, gender expression, citizenship
status, veteran status, political affiliation or economic status in
its programs, activities, employment, and provides equal access to
the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following
individual has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the
non-discrimination policies: Director for the Office of Equity and
Diversity, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131. ) The Omaha Public
School District is committed to providing access and reasonable
accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and
employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability
accommodation in the application process please contact the human
resources department at .
Keywords: Omaha Public Schools, Omaha , Homebound Teacher, Education / Teaching , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...