Company: Omaha Public Schools
Posted on: February 12, 2024
Job Title: Teacher Substitute
Location: Teacher Administration Center (TAC), 3215 Cuming St,
Omaha NE 68131
Reports To: Human Resource Substitute Office and Building
Work Schedule/FLSA Status: Varies as needed
Salary Schedule: $225.00 per day
Position Purpose: The role of a Substitute Teacher is to ensure
that students receive quality instruction in the absence of their
Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Developing students' cognitive capacity and respect for
- Positively fostering students' self-esteem.
- Working with and understanding a diverse student
- Integration of leadership, technology, and communication into
- Planning for and guiding the learning process to help students
achieve program objectives.
- Maintaining a classroom atmosphere conducive to learning.
- Selecting and using effective instructional methods and
- Establishing a cooperative relationship with all assigned
- Maintaining open lines of communication with parents/
- Working collaboratively to achieve the overall purpose of the
school's program and support the District's vision, aims and
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Education: Minimum of Bachelor's degree in education from an
accredited college or university.
- Valid/Current NE Teaching Certificate required. (** If you have
a Local Substitute Certificate- Please see the Local Substitute
- A demonstrated philosophy that all students can and will
- Reliable attendance
- Excellent communication skills oral and written
- Positive interpersonal skills
- Evidence of the willingness and the ability to comply with the
standards for ethical and professional performance established by
the State Board of Education.
- This individual will exhibit skills pertinent to foster
positive human relationships and the ability to work effectively
with students, staff, parents and the community
- A willingness and demonstrated abilities conducive to a
continuous quest for quality education.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Building Principal
and Central Office Administrators as designated by the
Equipment: This position may require the ability to use basic
office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax
machine. Must always comply with OPS's guidelines for equipment
Travel: Limited travel will be required.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Must be able to respond rapidly in emergency situations.
- Must have organization, time management, communication, and
- Works in school building environments.
- Contact with internal district staff and with external
families, community, customers and vendors.
- Works under the direct supervision of the department supervisor
and program director to complete day to day tasks.
- Works with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle
all situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Must understand and respond appropriately to student and
customer needs and maintains a positive attitude with all students,
families, and colleagues.
- Interacts with all internal and external customers in a
friendly, professional manner to provide quick, responsive customer
Employee Punctuality and Appearance
- Expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled
hours during each designated duty day, unless the employee has
received approved leave.
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from
the employee's supervisor or building administrator.
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a
manner that reflects a positive image of Omaha Public Schools and
is appropriate for their position.
Terms of Employment
This position is treated as a certified full-time exempt position.
The terms of your employment will be governed by applicable state
laws regulating employment in a Nebraska public school and Board of
Education policies, as those laws and policies may change from time
to time. If your position is represented by a collective bargaining
representative, then your employment will also be governed by a
negotiated agreement between OPS and that collective bargaining
The offer of employment is contingent upon:
- Obtaining and providing verification of all licenses,
certificates, and other requirements for position (e.g.,
Paraprofessionals obtaining "Highly Qualified status," etc.), as
- A thorough background check which demonstrates to OPS that
background is acceptable for the position sought and working with
or around students.
- Verification of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work
in the United States.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (if
required for position offered).
- Successful completion of a tuberculosis skin test (if required
for position offered).
- Successful completion of a pre-employment medical examination
to determine ability to safely and effectively perform the
essential functions of the position.
Omaha Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race,
color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic
information, gender identity, gender expression, citizenship
status, veteran status, political affiliation or economic status in
its programs, activities, employment, and provides equal access to
the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following
individual has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the
non-discrimination policies: Director for the Office of Equity and
Diversity, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131. (531-299-0307)
The Omaha Public School District is committed to providing access
and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities,
education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To
request disability accommodation in the application process please
contact the human resources department at 531-299-0240.
Keywords: Omaha Public Schools, Omaha , Teacher Substitute, Education / Teaching , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!