Cloud Engineer - Cloud Infrastructure Team
Company: Mutual of Omaha
Posted on: September 9, 2020
There are two positions available for this posting. These are
both in the Private Cloud environment. One will be more focused on
the on premise container orchestration side being a liaison to the
developer community and the other being focused on Infrastructure
automation and orchestration.
- The Cloud Engineer analyzes, develops automation, modifies,
installs, tests and maintains on-premise and public cloud services
and integrations. Provides day to day operations support of
on-premise and public cloud.
- Individuals in this position have entry level/basic cloud and
automation/scripting skills. They typically perform activities with
guidance and direction, while graduating to more independent
activities as knowledge and skills progress.
- A basic understanding of scripting is required.
- To build a balanced organization with complimentary skills,
positions in this job family vary in the depth of technical skills
and the breadth of knowledge, skills and competencies beyond one
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Cloud Skills/Knowledge: Familiar with using cloud services in
at least one cloud environment. Participates in integration set up
and build of public cloud environments for test and production,
cloud capacity planning and demand forecasting, performance
analysis and system tuning. Exposure to Identity & Access
Management (IAM). Participates in managing and scaling of cloud
infrastructure to meet business demands by providing a stable
secure cloud infrastructure. Participates in the evaluation of
cloud services and makes recommendations to Cloud Engineers and
- Automation/Orchestration Development: Designs, codes, tests,
implements and supports infrastructure automation services for
cloud technology, on-premise or public cloud, with supervision.
Ability to use scripting languages and APIs to facilitate cloud
automation. Demonstrates entry level skills at designing and coding
tasks through repeatable and uninterrupted processes and managing
services as Infrastructure as Code (IaC). Demonstrates entry level
skills in orchestration by automating the execution of complex
processes with a variety of variables.
- Scripting: Demonstrates entry level skills at scripting
languages needed to perform the automation required for building
Infrastructure as Code (IaC). Experience with PowerShell, Python,
- Configuration Management: Familiarity with public cloud
providers' deployment orchestration capabilities, like Amazon Web
Services (AWS) CloudFormation, AWS OpsWorks, Microsoft Azure
Automation and Microsoft Azure Resource Manager or configuration
management tools used for private cloud. (Docker or Kubernetes
- Governance: Support cloud governance activities.
- Source code management -- Familiar with source code management
tools used such as SVN or Git.
- Systems Engineering: Monitors and oversees daily operations of
on-premise and public cloud tasks. Assures that on-premise and
public cloud operate at desired efficiency by meeting or exceeding
quality and services goals. Provides Cloud systems engineering
expertise to peers and subordinates. Understanding of the
Infrastructure environment strong plus.
- Problem Resolution: Analyzes and resolves technical problems
with on-premise or public cloud through monitoring and restoring
services minimizing impact to the customer. Analyzes the impact of,
isolates and restores services associated with technical problems.
Analyzes, documents, and fixes the root cause of problems.
Proactively identifies and resolves potential problems before they
impact customers. Works independently on resolution of less complex
problems, works with mentor on more complex issue resolution. Is
subject to 24-hour call and may be required to work other than
normal working hours.
- Customer Relationship Management: Demonstrates a high level of
service delivery to ensure customer satisfaction. Builds and
maintains relationships with peers, team and area manager.
Understands and articulates Cloud services, products, and value to
application areas and other teams within the area. Proactively
works to communicate application and infrastructure problems
associated with on-premise and public cloud and coordinates
activities with team and area to effect resolution. Provides
operational interaction with business areas to resolve service
failures for on-premise and public cloud.
- Tactical Planning: Understands and supports tactical plans
associated to on-premise and public clouds. Monitors and executes
on-premise and public tactical cloud plans.
- Strategic Planning: Understands and supports on-premise and
public cloud strategic initiatives.
- Architecture: Supports the development and promotion of
technical architecture compliance related to the cloud.
- Vendor Management: Works with vendors to resolve problems and
escalate resolution within the management chain when necessary.
Provides feedback to vendors on desired product
- Project and Program Management: Completes tasks and provides
input to task definition and estimation.
This job posting is reflective of the Associate Cloud Engineer
essential functions, qualifications, and physical requirements. The
Cloud Engineer and Sr Cloud Engineer levels have variable essential
functions, qualifications and physical requirements. Competency and
skill set will determine level of placement within the posted job
family. ABOUT YOU:
- Technical Knowledge: Basic understanding of cloud technologies
with a focus on analysis, cloud development/automation,
modification, installation, testing, maintenance, and documentation
of cloud services. Continually increases technical knowledge of
cloud technologies and demonstrates the application of that
knowledge. Achieves appropriate certifications and educational
- Leadership and Authority: Articulates and advocates new cloud
technical and non-technical ideas within the team: uses leadership
rather than authority to accomplish results within the team;
assumes a role of authority within the team as necessary but does
not abuse authority; gains authority through trust and respect; and
sets an example for coworkers.
- Communication: Communicates basic cloud concepts to technical
audiences and immediate management; technical issues and problems
to vendors; and with business and I/S customers as needed to solve
cloud problems and install and test cloud components.
- Negotiation: Obtains agreement or consensus from multiple
parties within the team; earns trust and seeks win-win solutions
within the team; provides input to vendor contract negotiations;
and manages cloud infrastructure expectations within the
- Coaching and Mentoring: Is coached and mentored and coaches and
mentors peers; exhibits a can-do attitude and inspires others to
- Planning and Perspective: Performs operational cloud planning
and day-to-day cloud operations. Uses area and team goals and
objectives to prioritize work and guide actions.
- Policies, Process and Procedures: Acts in accordance with
established guidelines and follows processes and procedures; and
participates or helps leads in the development of team-wide
processes and procedures.
- Teamwork: Works with peers, subordinates, team management and
business customers to build positive relationships and maintain
constructive working relationships despite disagreement; assists
others when necessary to achieve team goals. Does not ignore
conflict and instead uses a win-win approach to resolve conflict
within their sphere of influence.
Flexibility: Effectively deals with ambiguity, unexpected events,
and changing cloud requirements; juggles multiple tasks
simultaneously; and handles and manages technical stress.
- Initiative: Undertakes activities on their own; communicates
status appropriately; anticipates subsequent tasks and activities;
keeps informed of cloud technology and industry trends and learns
and applies new cloud skills and technologies.
- Creativity and Innovation: Sees the bigger picture within their
team and area; sees and articulates multiple solutions to technical
problems within their team; challenges conventional practices
within team and adapts established methods for new uses; and
evaluates new technologies and concepts for solving existing
problems in the team.
- Decisiveness: Makes good technical and operational decisions
and shows accountability for those decisions.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field and/or
1-2 years equivalent experience in IT cloud engineering.
- You help promote a culture of diversity and inclusion within
the department and the larger organization. You value different
ideas and opinions. You listen courageously and remain curious in
all that you do.
- You are able to work remotely and have access to high-speed
- Requires basic understanding of cloud technologies and
development of Infrastructure as Code. Some experience with on
premise or public cloud services.
- Skills in the following:
- VMWare vRealize Automation (vRA) and vRealize Orchestration
- AWS (skills with: EC2, S3, VPC, Lambda, ECS, ELB, Autoscaling,
Cloud Formation Template, Python, AWS CLI)
- Azure (skills with: ARM, Azure CLI, Operations Management
Suite, Application Insights, Azure Site Recovery, Azure Backup,
Security Center, Azure Networking, Azure Storage, Azure
- Docker (EE, UCP and DTR)
- Software Defined Networking skills (VMWare NSX)
- Linux/Windows Server
- VMware vCenter
- IaC skills such as Jenkins, Puppet/Chef, Terraform
- Experience with application development languages such as Java
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- A Diverse workplace where associate feel a sense of
- A company that feels like a small, close-knit community, with
the strength of a Fortune 500 company
- Tuition reimbursement, training and career development
- Competitive salary, incentives, 401(k), flexible work schedules
and a healthy amount of time off
- Don't live in Omaha? No problem! We offer an attractive
MUTUAL OF OMAHA:
Mutual of Omaha serves more than 4.8 million individual product
customers and 39,000 employer groups.--- Our legacy of stability
creates an environment where every associate is encouraged to
experiment, innovate and grow in their own unique career
From day one, you'll have the tools to be your best self at work.
Here you'll do meaningful work and your talents will have a
positive impact on peoples' lives as we help our customers protect
what they care about and achieve their financial goals.---
Each associate is a unique contributor to creating a diverse,
dynamic, thriving and inclusive workplace. We want you to become
engaged --- feel a sense of belonging --- and contribute to the
company's exceptional future.
Join forces with a company that can AMPLIFY YOUR STRENGTHS AND
EMPOWER YOUR CAREER.
For inquiries about the position or application process, contact
our HR Helpline at 1-800-365-1405.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled
veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are
unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career
center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation,
contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-800-780-0304. We are
available Monday through Friday 7 am to 4:30 pm CST we will reply
within 24 hours.
Mutual of Omaha and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity
/Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive
consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or
protected veteran status.
To All Recruitment Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency
resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to
Keywords: Mutual of Omaha, Omaha , Cloud Engineer - Cloud Infrastructure Team, Engineering , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!