Director of Sustainability
Company: The Scoular Company
Posted on: April 8, 2021
An employee-owned company with more than $4 billion in sales,
Scoular employs more than 1,000 people in over 100 offices and
facilities in North America, Asia, and other locations world-wide.
For over 128 years, feed and food customers have been counting on
Scoular's experts to create safe and reliable supply chain
solutions for end-users and suppliers of grain, feed ingredients,
and food ingredients around the globe. Every day at Scoular, our
employees define what is possible and make decisions that carry
great responsibility. Our influence spans the global agriculture
supply chain, and the sustainable solutions we provide become the
links that connect our world. In recognition of our role as a
global citizen and imaginative supply chain solutions provider,
Scoular has launched a long-term sustainability strategy that
reflects our high integrity business practices and that serve as a
foundation for innovative ways we can to partner with our customers
on their sustainability strategies.-- With the launch and evolution
of Scoular's sustainability strategy, Scoular is seeking its first
Director of Sustainability, a role that will be instrumental in
creating and managing the core components of that sustainability
strategy, internally and externally. This role will lead
sustainability initiatives for Scoular, including the key
responsibilities of managing Scoular's sustainability program,
developing external facing sustainability strategies, supporting
operations leaders on customer engagement, and leading other
stakeholder engagement and reporting. This role will be a close
partner for each of Scoular's operations divisions in leading the
improvement of the identification, offering, and marketing of
sustainable supply chain solutions, enabling ideation and
co-creation with Scoular customers in partnership with Scoular's
business unit leaders. Job Duties
- As a general matter, this role will be responsible for the
continuing development and implementation of Scoular's
sustainability program, as well as collaborating with and
supporting business-driven and customer-backed sustainability
opportunities. This role will serve as subject matter expert in
sustainability for the enterprise. More detailed job duties include
those highlighted below.
- Serve as an internal consultant who enables cross functional
execution of Scoular's internally and externally facing
sustainability strategies by ensuring proper resources, processes,
and tools are in place.
- In partnership with division and business unit leadership,
enable and support external stakeholder partnership by supporting
customer engagement, responding to customer inquiries, and engaging
in customer focused initiatives to create market opportunities for
- Engage in new sustainability focused growth opportunities to
develop new and retain existing customers/partners.
- Assist relevant cross-functional partners in maintaining brand
awareness and identity of Scoular and its marketing initiatives
focused on its sustainability platform, or the sustainability
platforms or needs of Scoular's customers and/or potential
- Lead initiatives to help answer priority questions, solve
problems, and drive critical business actions and decisions around
- Map the sustainable agriculture and adjacent industry trends
and inform internal partners on the same.
- Cultivate actionable insights by managing the
scorecard/progress reports and analyzing performance trends.
- Mobilize business leaders and other employees through education
and training on sustainability topics to create opportunities for
- Design and manage a scalable sustainability reporting program
that allows for enterprise-level tracking of current state and
progress on milestones, goals, and targets for all of Scoular.
- Act as leader and co-creator with cross-functional partners and
subject matter experts (e.g., diversity and inclusion, safety, and
community engagement) in establishing data-driven sustainability
goals, milestones and metrics year-over-year.--
- Serve as project manager for the development of the annual
corporate responsibility report, including design and management of
the effort and working closely with subject matter experts across
the enterprise, allowing for annual and ongoing reporting of
sustainability and broader impact goals and targets for all of
- Accountable for managing a sustainability cost center and the
- Leverage a design thinking and strategic mindset to work
collaboratively across Scoular to define division-level
sustainability priorities. Qualifications:
- Education in Environmental Management, Sustainability, or
related field, with additional marketing, branding, and/or business
development experience preferred.
- Advanced degree in Environment, Business or Strategy
- Agriculture, food/feed, CPG or adjacent industry experience
- 5+ years of professional experience in sustainability and/or
ESG - environmental, social, governance -- including customer
facing innovation and value creation.
- Experience in external customer connectivity, with corporate
communications and/or marketing experience.
- Confident in communicating with executives, various internal
teams and third-party stakeholders
- Ability to collaborate with others across Scoular for the
achievement of business goals.
- Experience creating and operationalizing cross-divisional
- Experience crafting the business case and plan for
enterprise-level sustainability goals, including strategic and
- Experience linking sustainability initiatives to digital tools
and tracking for operational benefit.--
- Operates with a high degree of independence and
- Produces deliverables promptly and proactively anticipates
- Proven ability to identify, analyze and objectively problem
solve with prompt and meticulous follow-through.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions to support the
direction taken by others at Scoular.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound
judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business
- Consolidates information from various sources including
feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on
internal and external customers.
- Works effectively by setting effective work goals, establishing
priorities, and planning well to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting
deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a
variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with various stakeholders inside and outside the
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in
the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change, and influences
others to change. The Scoular Company is an Equal Opportunity
Keywords: The Scoular Company, Omaha , Director of Sustainability, Executive , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!