Middle School Assistant Principal - Activities/Athletic Director
Company: Omaha Public Schools
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Job Title: Middle School Assistant Principal,
Activities/Athletic Director Location: King Science Magnet Middle
School, 3720 Florence Boulevard, Omaha, NE 68110 Reports To:
Building Principal Work Schedule/FLSA Status: 10 month / Exempt.
Salary Schedule: Omaha School Administrators Association (OSAA)
Level 4 / Salary commensurate with experience and education. Start
Date: August 1, 2023 Position Purpose: The Middle School Assistant
Principal for Activities assumes joint responsibility with and is
under the direction of the principal for the effective
administration of the school and all facets of its instructional
program, including co-curricular activities. Under the direction
of, and in collaboration with the principal, this individual
assumes responsibility of instructional support and best practices
at the middle school, the tracking and efficient use of data as it
pertains to student achievement, and the planning, preparation, and
implementation of professional development. Under the direction of
the principal the assistant will coordinate and oversee all facets
of the school's extra-curricular activities and collaborate with
other OPS middle school Activities/Athletic Directors. This person
will assign and evaluate all coaches. Under the direction of the
principal, this individual assists in the supervision of all
certified and non-certified staff assigned to the school and
assists by providing leadership in establishing expectations for
student attendance, conduct and learning performance. This
individual will exhibit strong standards of professional ethics
when relating to staff, students, parents, administration, and the
community. Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Keep abreast of developments in middle school curriculum and
instruction and provide leadership in determining the
appropriateness of incorporating recent strategies.
- Maintain the districts overall mission, assist in supporting
and implementing board policies and the academic action plan school
wide with staff and students
- Assist in the development and support of curriculum and
instructional growth to enhance the educational opportunities for
- Under the direction of, and in collaboration with the
principal, this person will assume responsibility of all activities
- Evaluate activity sponsors and coaches.
- Collaborate with the District Supervisor of Activities and
Athletics to support OPS's overall vision, implementation and
supervision of activities and athletics.
- Under the direction of, and in collaboration with the
principal, plan, prepare, and implement professional
- Monitor and use relevant data to effect change in instructional
practices enhancing student learning.
- Maintain effective communication with all supporting divisions
within the Omaha Public School district as well as staff, students
- Assist in the maintenance of accurate budgetary information
essential to the running of the educational facility.
- Assist in providing leadership for a collaborative team to
ensure that curriculum and instructional initiatives are student
focused and aligned with the District's mission and beliefs and
school goals and improvement plans.
- Works collaboratively with the Principal and Leadership staff
in conducting teacher evaluations, coaching visits and providing
feedback for continuous growth.
- Adhere to the district evaluation process related to both
classified and non-classified staff.
- Ability to work outside of normal business hours or weekends to
attend and supervise activities and athletics. Knowledge, Skills,
- Minimum of a Masters Degree with major emphasis in educational
administration and supervision required.
- A valid Nebraska Administrative Certificate with endorsement in
the area of administration and supervision.
- Minimum of five (5) years of successful teaching experience
required with urban experience preferred.
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of the philosophy, purpose
and function within an urban school district.
- Demonstrates an empathy for helping to lead a strong diverse
urban educational environment.
- Demonstrated philosophy that all students can and will
- Demonstrated record of success which exemplifies instructional
leadership, standards of academic excellence and personal
- Knowledge of current educational trends/issues impacting the
- Realizes the importance and models the use of current
technology in the educational environment.
- Budgets school time to provide for the efficient conduct of
school instruction and business.
- Demonstrates the promotion of life-long learning by assisting
in providing pertinent professional development in both the
academic curriculum as well as cultural proficiency and awareness
of understanding diversity.
- Assists in Implementing Board policies and the Academic Action
Plan School wide for the staff and students.
- The skills pertinent to positive human relationships and the
ability to work effectively with students, members of the
instructional staff and the community.
- Continuous quest for quality education.Additional Duties
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and
Central Office Administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Equipment: This position may require the ability to use basic
office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax
machine. Must always comply with OPS's guidelines for equipment
use. Travel: Travel between schools and central offices will be
required. Occasional travel outside of Omaha or Nebraska may be
required. Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Must be able to respond rapidly in emergency situations.
- Must have organization, time management, communication, and
- Work in school building environments. Interrelations:
- Contact with personnel within the district and other
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the building
administration in order to complete day to day tasks.
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability
to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Must understand and respond appropriately to stakeholder needs
and maintain a positive attitude with all.
- Expected to interact with all internal and external
stakeholders in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick,
responsive service. Employee Punctuality and Appearance
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are
expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled
hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has
received approved leave.
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from
the employee's supervisor or building administrator.
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a
manner that reflects a positive image of Omaha Public Schools and
is appropriate for their position.
- Regular attendance is important. Terms of EmploymentThis
position is treated as a full-time exempt certified position. The
terms of your employment will be governed by applicable state laws
regulating employment or teaching in a Nebraska public school and
Board of Education policies, as those laws and policies may change
from time to time, and the Administrative Contract. If your
position is represented by a collective bargaining representative,
then your employment will also be governed by a negotiated
agreement between OPS and that collective bargaining
representative. Terms of employment are contingent upon:
- Verification of a valid Nebraska Administrative License or
other required license.
- A background check which demonstrates background is acceptable
for the position sought and working with or around students.
- Verification of U.S. Citizenship or legal authorization to work
in the United States.
- Successful completion of a tuberculosis skin test (if required
by federal law for your position).
- Execution and delivery to OPS of a Teacher Contract presented
by OPS. Omaha Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic
information, gender identity, gender expression, citizenship
status, veteran status, political affiliation or economic status in
its programs, activities, employment, and provides equal access to
the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following
individual has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the
non-discrimination policies: Director for the Office of Equity and
Diversity, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131. ) The Omaha Public
School District is committed to providing access and reasonable
accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and
employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability
accommodation in the application process please contact the human
resources department at .
Keywords: Omaha Public Schools, Omaha , Middle School Assistant Principal - Activities/Athletic Director, Executive , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...