Staff RN - Bedside Cardiac Intensive Care
Company: Children's Hospital & Medical Center - Omaha
Posted on: May 5, 2021
Up to $10,000. SIGN ON BONUS for Experienced RNs Full Time, 36
hours per week 7P-7A w/ Weekend & Holiday Rotation We re searching
for a Staff RN in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit to coordinate
professional nursing and individualized, family centered care to
pediatric patients/families through the use of the nursing process
and clinical skills in accordance with standards and hospital
policies and procedures. Obtains skills necessary to care for
cardiac patients regardless of acuity and age. Works
collaboratively with the interdisciplinary team regardless of
location to provide care excellence to patients and families of the
cardiac population. Essential Functions/Competencies
- Conducts individualized age-specific patient/family assessments
according to defined unit scope and nursing practice standards,
appropriate collaborative problems (CPG's)/nursing diagnoses(ND's),
or protocols. (Individualized refers to the patient s
developmental, cognitive, cultural, psychosocial, spiritual, and
educational/family influences and physical/medical care needs.)
- Collects and documents data related to patient s individualized
- Demonstrates age-specific competency in assessment of patients
by the ability to obtain and interpret information in terms of the
patient needs, knowledge of growth and development, and
understanding of the range of treatment needed by these
- Assesses patient/family need for education and uses an
individualized approach in delivery style.
- Assesses family expectations for, and involvement in the
assessment and continuous care or treatment of the patient.
- Identifies nursing diagnoses, collaborative problems, and/or
protocols for each patient, based on assessment, at the time of
admission. Shift Assessment/Reassessment:
- Performs reassessment based on unit standards, CPG's/ND's,
protocols and changes in patient condition. Communicates changes to
appropriate persons (Provider, Charge RN, and family) as
- Develops individualized patient/family plan of care using
CPG/ND s, and practice guidelines/protocols to meet identified
needs. (Plan of Care includes current and anticipated actions
focused on care, education, discharge needs.)
- Utilizes assessment data from the healthcare team to
individualize appropriate goals and actions for the patient,
including collaboration with the family and the healthcare
- Utilizes individualized assessment data to develop the
patient/family s plan of care.
- Formulates goals and outcomes based on assessment data.
- Revises plan of care based on patient s condition,
interdisciplinary input, and family needs.
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize patient interventions based
on assessments/reassessments. Delegates to Certified Nursing
Assistants to support patient care needs as appropriate.
- Implements and evaluates nursing actions in accordance with the
individualized patient/family plan of care and patient
- Oversees that the nursing and interdisciplinary plan of
care/goals are coordinated, implemented, evaluated, and revised as
needed. Identifies the need for interdisciplinary
involvement/outside resources and follows through. Uses appropriate
resources (CN, Supervisor, Manager, CNS/Educator, Director, MD,
etc.) to ensure that clinical outcomes are achieved.
- Incorporates critical thinking into the delivery of clinical
skills and in analyzing patient response to orders, tests, labs,
medications, and treatments.
- Demonstrates clinical competence in administering interventions
according to identified standards and age specific needs.
- Provides and/or coordinates with other disciplines
patient/family education according to identified care needs,
considering assessment of patient/family s readiness to learn
- Documentation reflects accurate assessment/evaluation,
modification, and patient s response to therapy, changes in
condition, and therapeutic interventions/procedures.
- Entries in the electronic medical record follow hospital policy
(i.e., date, time, use of appropriate abbreviations, and
- Documentation is completed within established timeframes
including, but not limited to the following in the EMR: Admission
Assessment, Patient Daily Assessment, Daily Cares and Safety,
Lines, Education Record, and Care Plan Goals.
- Reviews and updates patient care plan to accurately reflect the
plan of care.
- Completes computerized documentation within established
timeframes, including, but not limited to: Medication
Administration Record, Allergies, Patient Information, etc.
- Provides the last line of defense for patient safety including
medication administration, procedures, and discharge planning.
- Based on departmental/organizational need may be required to
participate in Transplant program function. SECONDARY
- Performs other duties assigned.
- Accepts assignments to float to other units utilizing clinical
skill sets and appropriate resources, delegating when appropriate.
Professionally supports the assigned unit, as seen through
interactions with patients, families, area staff, colleagues and
- Accepts assignment to mentor student nurse observation
experience in unit.
- Accepts assignments to share/teach knowledge and provide
clinical support to serve as a preceptor for new staff.
- Professionally seeks opportunities to help teammates during
shift as needed.
- Accepts and completes other assigned tasks in a professional
- If designated relief Charge Nurse, add competencies Addendum
- If designated compensated preceptor, add competencies Addendum
B KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to perform a variety of duties, often changing
from one task to another of a different nature, without loss of
efficiency or composure, and be able to perform under stressful
conditions when confronted with multiple requests, demonstrating
prioritizing skills. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Diploma, Associates, or Bachelor s degree from an accredited
school of nursing required
- Minimum 1 year of RN experience required
- Experience with pediatric patients preferred.
- Previous experience with EPIC preferred.
- Must possess a current valid Nebraska RN license/RN Compact
- Current and valid Basic Life Support (BLS) through the American
Heart Association is required.
- Current and valid Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) required
within 6-months of hire. Employees hired prior to December 2, 2019
are required to obtain ACLS by December 31, 2020.
- Current and valid Pediatric Life Advanced Life Support (PALS)
required, within 6months of hire.
- Current and valid certification preferred; Certified Pediatric
Nurse or Certified Critical Care Nurse EOE/Vets/Disabled
Keywords: Children's Hospital & Medical Center - Omaha, Omaha , Staff RN - Bedside Cardiac Intensive Care, Healthcare , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!