Cardiology Clinic Nurse
Company: Children's Hospital & Medical Center - Omaha
Posted on: May 5, 2021
We re searching for a Cardiology Clinic Nurse to prescribe,
delegate and coordinate professional nursing care to pediatric and
adult congenital heart patients through the use of nursing process
and in accordance with hospital policy/procedure. Demonstrate
competency in identified skills for area. Expand knowledge of
pediatric practice in clinic specific area and contributes to the
professional development of peers, colleagues and others. Essential
- Implements a comprehensive plan of care for the cardiology
- Teaches the patient/family about all aspects of congenital
heart disease such as anatomy/physiology, medications, blood work,
activities, and follow-up.
- Obtains cardiac catheterization permits when necessary after
teaching the patient/family about the procedure and related
- Communicates the medical plan and related nursing care
implementations to the staff nurses.
- Provides post-op cardiac surgery discharge teaching
instructions and coordinates follow-up care.
- Monitors outpatient lab work and reports findings to
cardiologist as needed.
- Authorizes prescription refills under cardiologist
- Provides outpatient cardiology clinic coverage as needed.
- Acts as liaison between pediatric cardiology, patients and
their families and other health care team members:
- Communicates the cardiologist plan of care to the
- Schedules diagnostic tests and procedures when necessary,
including preauthorizations as necessary
- Refers patient needs/concerns to the cardiologist for medical
- Acts as patient advocate to address the patient s needs and
- Serves as the resource for answering patient/family questions
or concerns regarding medical plan of care.
- Works with referring physicians in coordinating and
implementing patient care issues and scheduling of cardiology
- Assess the needs of the cardiology patient/family:
- Completes a nursing assessment of assigned caseload.
- Participates in inpatient rounds with cardiologist. Assists in
updating nursing staff, parents, and family members and other
medical personnel regarding the patient s progress, based on
- Attends weekly cardiac catheterization conferences.
- Develops a comprehensive plan of care for the cardiology
- Monitors the daily progress of the assigned patient census with
the cardiologist and offers input, when appropriate, to treatment
- Assists in updating cardiology inpatient spreadsheet as
directed by the cardiologist.
- Serves as coordinator for assigned cardiology patient
populations such as transplant, fetal echocardiography,
preventative cardiology, interventional cardiology or pulmonary
hypertension patients, and/or MRI.
- Works closely with assigned cardiologist in providing
comprehensive patient care to a specific patient population
- Coordinates necessary lab work, follow-up testing, and
communicates any medical changes to the patient/family.
- Develops talks, in-services, pamphlets and other educational
information as requested. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Prefer knowledge of insurance authorization.
- Other certifications/education as defined by area specific job
competencies. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor s degree from an accredited college or university in
- Minimum 2 years experience in nursing with pediatric patients
- Experience in a cardiac environment preferred.
- Current and valid Nebraska RN license/RN Compact license
- Current and valid Pediatric Emergency Assessment Recognition &
Stabilization (PEARS) required within 6-months of hire, unless
another position held by the incumbent requires PALS.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification required.
- Occasional driving may be required for the position
Keywords: Children's Hospital & Medical Center - Omaha, Omaha , Cardiology Clinic Nurse, Healthcare , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!