Medical Social Worker - Patient Care Coordinators
Company: Children's Hospital & Medical Center
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Schedule: M-F, 8-5 (no on-call requirement)We're searching for a
Medical Social Worker to provide professional social work services
for patients and families in assigned areas of the
hospital/clinics, and on an as needed basis in other areas of the
hospital/clinics. Enhance the psychosocial functioning of
patients/families while under provisional supervision. Develop and
maintain a positive and long-term credible relationship with
patients, physicians and nursing staff to ensure a team-based
approach and effective continuum of care for our patients.Essential
- Under provisional supervision, conducts psychosocial
- Screens patients in assigned areas daily focusing on new
diagnosis of chronic illness, patients with complex medical needs
or safety concerns.
- Establishes professional working relationships with staff /
- Collaborates with and facilitates multidisciplinary team
discussions to understand the medical needs of the
- Appropriately documents assessment in chart.
- Formulates patient goals and monitors the progression of the
plan of care utilizing strength based interventions.
- Provides appropriate patient education and documents in the
- Communicates psychosocial assessment and plan of care with
patient care team.
- Assesses high risk families and provide intervention focusing
on the safety and mental health of the patient/family and
collaborates with the healthcare team to ensure a safe
- Provides referrals for patient and family needs.
- Gathers information from patients/families.
- Shares appropriate resource materials and information with
- Maintains up to date knowledge of community resources specific
to the patient's medical condition and social situation.
- Has an awareness of population health management tools and how
to utilize information to impact patients/families well-being
- Assists with overcoming social determinants of health.
- Advocates for access to mental health, financial resources and
other community resources/services.
- Assists with follow-up and follow-through to ensure that
quality of care is obtained.
- Documents interventions in chart.
- Under Provisional Supervision, provides crisis/supportive
counseling and coaching to patients/families
- Supports self-management by assisting families with
problem-solving, adjustment to illness, and management of long-term
illness, utilizing their positive coping strategies.
- Provides interventions which reflect knowledge of how disease
impacts social well-being and is enhanced by disease specific
- Provides crisis intervention in a variety of situations.
- Documents interventions appropriately in chart. Provides
recommendations and warm hand-offs to health care team
- Facilitates support groups as needed.
- While under supervision, provides assessment and coordination
of child abuse/neglect cases.
- Assesses psychosocial dynamics.
- Communicates with medical and nursing personnel regarding
assessment and plan.
- Facilitates referral and provides ongoing communication with
CPS, law enforcement, and county attorney's office.
- Documents pertinent information and completes all reports in a
- Prepares and presents cases to the Children's Advocacy Team.
Attends team meetings on an as needed basis.
- Provides on-call services for Social Work Department as
required as a provisionally licensed Social Worker.
- May assist with Trauma Cases in the Emergency Department as a
crucial team member.
- Responds to calls in a timely manner.
- Performs on-call duties in a professional manner.
- Covers for Social Work colleagues in their absence, and
arranges for coverage of social work responsibilities when
- Communicates with co-workers regarding coverage needs.
- Provides consultation/interventions regarding legal issues such
as determining guardianship and assisting with adoption cases.
- Consults with Compliance Officer/Legal Counsel as
- Provides consultation related to State Wards in determining who
has legal authority to consent to treat and release
- Based on departmental/organizational need may be required to
participate in Transplant program functions.
- The in-patient or SPC social workers may be required to
participate in Transplant program functions, Social Work role
- Pre and Post-transplant psychosocial assessment of patients and
- Present psychosocial information to the selection
- Provide transplant program patients and families specific
- Confirm resources and discharge plans with team and
patients/familiesKNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Requires knowledge of human behavior, social problems,
counseling modalities, and community resources
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in written
form, relaying case information to patients/families, physicians,
and other healthcare professionals, attorneys and law enforcement
as needed EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master's Degree from an accredited college or university in
Social Work required
- Minimum one year experience of supervised experience as a
Social Worker in a clinical setting preferred
- Medical Social Work experience preferred
- Current Provisional Master Social Worker and Provisional Mental
Health Practitioner in the state of Nebraska required
- May also have current and valid Masters Social Worker and
Mental Health Practitioner licensure in the state of Nebraska.
Make a meaningful difference improving the lives of children!
At Children's, the region's only full-service pediatric healthcare
center, our people make us the very best for kids. Come cultivate
your passion, purpose and professional development in an
environment of excellence and inclusion, where team members are
supported and deeply valued. Opportunities for career growth abound
as we grow our services and spaces, including the cutting-edge
Hubbard Center for Children. Join our highly engaged, caring
team-and join us in providing brighter, healthier tomorrows for the
children we serve.
Keywords: Children's Hospital & Medical Center, Omaha , Medical Social Worker - Patient Care Coordinators, Healthcare , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!