Laboratory Billing Assistant
Company: Methodist Health System
Posted on: August 8, 2022
- Purpose of Job
- Responsible for laboratory billing functions including
registration, entering patient demographics, verifying insurance
eligibility using Healthcare information systems and databases and
entering manual charges.
- Job Requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Experience using healthcare information systems and databases
- Medical office and/or insurance experience preferred.
- Cerner experience preferred.
- Skill organizing and prioritizing work.
- Demonstrated relationship management skills.
- Skill solving problems and accurately completing work.
- Skill with verbal and written communication.
- Ability to effectively work in a team environment.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and
draw valid conclusions.
- Skill managing work time and priorities.
- Ability to accurately enter alphanumeric data.
- Able to effectively deal with uncertainty, and complex
- Ability to work with people effectively and work under
- Ability to learn specialized terminology of a medical
- Ability to use Microsoft Windows.
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
- Process patient orders, and billing in a manner to ensure
accurate, and timely testing by following section policies and
- Maintains compliance with established processes, and achieves
section/organization quality goals.
- Knowledgeable in Revenue Cycle Management registration, and use
of multiple information systems to accurately select, and submit
- Accurately performs, verifies, and evaluates appropriateness on
patient demographic, and insurance information.
- Prioritizes, and organizes work to facilitate the timely, and
accurate completion of multiple tasks simultaneously by assessing
the urgency of the tasks, and the time required to complete
- Identifies problems, and initiates immediate follow-up as
necessary with the Manager, Service Leader, or Medical Director(s)
to ensure accurate, timely laboratory services by using critical
thinking skills, and decisive judgment.
- Accommodates patient, and laboratory needs by professionally
responding to requests for flexibility in duties, schedules, and
- Bills and posts charges, prepares and posts manual charges, and
follows up on denial reports and problem resolution.
- Contacts Physicians or Clinics for clarification of clinical
information as appropriate for account type as necessary.
- Participates, and assists with audits to capture lost revenue,
and determine accuracy of billing as necessary.
- Ensures all payer sources, commercial and governmental, are
- Documents orientation, training, and education to ensure
employee competence, the provision of services, and to meet
accreditation requirements by effective verbal or written
- Organizational, and department competencies are completed 100%
of the time.
- Evidence that new procedures, and major procedure revisions are
read, and understood.
- Assists in training new, and existing staff including the
review, and completion of orientation checklists, and
- Supports the education of clinical/anatomical laboratory
- Communicates efficiently by answering telephones, taking
messages, calling clients for test clarification, and forwarding
information or calls to appropriate staff.
- Utilizes appropriate communication skills as directly observed
by Lab Billing Coordinator or designee.
- Maintains and encourages open communication internally and
- Brings issues and concerns directly to the appropriate
supervisor's attention as directly observed.
- Utilizes time efficiently and effectively to complete
assignments and assist co-workers as needed by adhering to time
management and teamwork principles.
- Assists in the training of new employees to the section to
ensure high quality of services by working at specific functions
with the new employee until he/she is self-sufficient with the
- Phone calls are acted upon promptly and handled in a
professional manner per the customer service protocol as directly
- Supports Pathologists with any office related requests.
- Essential Functions II
- Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as
mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as
directed by management.
- Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values,
Employee Standards of Behavior and company
- Other duties as assigned.
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Omaha , Laboratory Billing Assistant, Healthcare , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!