RN/LPN Triage Clinics
Company: Methodist Health System
Posted on: January 24, 2023
- Purpose of Job
- The Triage Nurse will provide triage telephone service to
enhance compliance with the patients plan of care and ensure prompt
identification of patients with high-risk conditions. This will be
accomplished by sorting and prioritizing patients through
assessments, monitoring, recording and reporting changes in their
condition. Triage nurses will be involved in every aspect of the
patient's health. Precision and accuracy in maintaining detailed
assessment and reports is important in relaying information to the
doctors or to the patients. Will prepared, assist, and instruct
patients for examinations and treatment and inform family members
on health care education topics.
- Job Requirements
- Triage Nurse LPN - Graduate of an accredited LPN program
- Triage Nurse RN - Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
- Minimum 1 year clinical experience required.
- Current American Heart Association or American Red Cross Basic
Life Support (BLS) strongly preferred at time of hire, required
within 3 months of hire.
- Triage Nurse LPN - Current valid Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
license, valid compact multistate license to work in Nebraska or
Iowa (work state) or temporary permit while awaiting licensure
- Triage Nurse RN - Current valid Registered Nurse (RN) license,
valid compact multistate license to work in Nebraska or Iowa (work
state), or a temporary permit while awaiting licensure
- Knowledge of medical terminology and procedures required.
- Knowledge of medicine including recognizing and diagnosed
diseases, deformities, and other illnesses.
- Skill to effectively manage time and prioritize tasks.
- Skill to proficiently type information into the computer to
capture or detail information quickly.
- Ability to provide caring patient care services when talking
with patients and their family members.
- Ability to critically listen to questions from patients and
information from providers to convey information effectively.
- Ability to anticipate, recognize, and resolve problems before
they occur and avoid bigger problems in the future.
- Ability to problem solve during several daily activities which
includes the ability to be flexible.
- Ability to learn and proficiently navigate through computer
programs that contain patient information.
- Strong verbal communication skills for positive interaction
with providers, staff and patients required.
- Able to follow written and verbal instructions/directions
- HIPAA understanding.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Physical Activity
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Standing (Floor Only)
- Walking (Floor Only)
- Sitting (Phone Only)
- Job Hazards
- Not Related:
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared
and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or
- Rare (1%-33%):
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, C at
Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors,
outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Frequent (67%-100%):
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses)
(Jobs with Patient contact) Blood or Body Fluid (BBF)
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
- Joint (Floor and Phone)
- Performs telephone triage to determine patient needs by
recording and reporting patient condition to provider and advising
patient based on provider instructions.
- Receives and returns patient calls within 90 minutes based on
medical priority 95% of the time.
- Accurately records and reports patient's condition according to
department policy 98% of the time.
- Strictly adheres to practice protocols.
- Consults patient's chart while talking to the patient.
- Returns phone messages according to protocol at least 98% of
- Provides test results according to protocol at least 98% of the
- At the direction of the provider provides patient and family
education to ensure adequate knowledge/awareness and recommends
appropriate community resources as needed.
- Educates/instructs patients according to providers direction
98% of the time.
- Medical Home
- Documents all lab, procedures, and appointments on tracking
- Completes tracking forms and follows up on missed appointments
- Assists Health Coaches by working patient lists and scheduling
appointments as directed.
- Maintains work areas to ensure healthy environmental conditions
by cleaning and organizing equipment and rooms.
- Maintains clean and organized work area according to
department/provider protocol 99% of the time.
- Handles prescription renewals/inquiries to facilitate patient
care. Discusses questions with provider and relays information to
- Handles prescription refills according to department/provider
protocols 99% of the time.
- Accurately completes pharmacy requests 100% of the time.
- Provides appropriate care specific to the age of the patient to
ensure understanding and comfort level of treatment as outlined in
the Age Specific Criteria .
- Completes Nursing Assessments
- Uses nursing judgment to develop plan of care.
- Determines severity of patient illness and intervention to
treat while prioritizing patient calls.
- Documents clear and concise notes describing phone call
utilizing SBAR (situation, background, assessment, recommendation)
- Communicates between provider and patient appropriately.
- Conducts patient and family education; evaluates and documents
in chart, the patient's understanding of all education.
- Coordinates continuation of care through referrals to
- Prepares exam rooms and equipment to facilitate treatment and
examination of patients by setting up instruments/equipment and
- Prepares exam rooms and medical equipment according to provider
protocol 95% of the time.
- Prepares patient for provider exam by reviewing medical
records, weighing patient, checking vital signs, performing
medication reconciliation and obtaining information relevant to
- Prepares patient for exam by following provider protocol and
company policies 95% of the time.
- Assists providers to facilitate patient treatment by retrieving
tests and medical records and obtaining lab work as directed.
- Obtains provider requested tests, records, and lab work 95% of
- Dispense medications at the direction of a provider to
patients. Registered Nurse and Licensed Practical Nurse instruct
patients and family members regarding education and treatment to
ensure patients completely understand how to take the medication
- Assists and/or performs phlebotomy with proper labeling and
handling of specimens, accurately completes requisitions, and
collects specimens according to standard procedures/protocols and
performing and documenting quality control activities.
- Performs above procedure according to clinic policy and
procedures 95% of the time.
- Ensures accuracy of order entry and completes appropriate
documentation without error at least 98% of the time.
- Essential Functions II
- Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as
mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as
directed by management.
- Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values,
Employee Standards of Behavior and company
- Other duties as assigned.
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Omaha , RN/LPN Triage Clinics, Healthcare , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!