Certified Surgical Tech III
Company: Methodist Health System
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Why work for Nebraska Methodist Health System?
At Nebraska Methodist Health System, we focus on providing
exceptional care to the communities we serve and people we employ.
We call it The Meaning of Care - a culture that has and will
continue to set us apart. It's helping families grow by making each
delivery special, conveying a difficult diagnosis with a
compassionate touch, going above and beyond for a patient's needs,
or giving a high five when a patient beats a disease or conquers a
personal health challenge. We offer competitive pay, excellent
benefits and a great work environment where all employees are
valued! Most importantly, our employees are part of a team that
makes a real difference in the communities we live and work in.
Allied health professional working as a part of the team delivering
surgical care by assisting physicians and maintaining a sterile
field during surgical procedure through consistent application of
Performs preoperative preparation.
- Reviews physician preference list before operative procedure
and assembles supplies and equipment needed for procedure.
- Opens sterile supplies using sterile technique.
- Transfers medications and solutions to the sterile field
according to policy.
- Communicates clearly and collaborates with other members of the
perioperative team to prepare operative procedure.
- Prepares the case cart postoperative for central sterilizing
return according to department policy. Functions as scrub person
during operative procedure by preparing, monitoring, and
maintaining a sterile field
- Completing surgical scrub according to policy.
- Performs scrub duties in an accurate, concise and timely
- Wears appropriate personal protective apparel (PPA) and follows
standard and policy for attire in the operating room.
- Follows policy for wearing protective eye-wear during
- Organizes and maintains sterile instruments and supplies in
- Performs counts according to facility policy and procedure
during procedure and hand-off situations.
- Accurately performs all sponge, needle, and sharps counts at
appropriate times with registered nurse.
- Assisting with draping sterile field according to
- Watches progress of the operation and anticipates needs of team
- Disassembles instruments and equipment, transports to
- Assists with cleaning room and prepares for subsequent
- Cleans operating room suite between cases and participates in
- Checks indicators and integrity of packages for each patient
- Recognizes unseen boundaries between sterile and
- Immediately communicates any changes in procedures, patient
condition, or procedure.
- Communicates for a safe and accurate hand-off with team members
to assure accuracy of critical patient care information and
- Prepares and properly disposes of sharps, blood, and waste
prior to leaving room according to department policy. Applies base
knowledge and principles during operative procedure (Intraoperative
- Base knowledge of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology,
microbiology and pharmacology for optimal surgical patient
- Principles of computer science, electricity and robotics as
needed for surgical patient care.
- Principles of sterile technique during the surgical procedure.
Follows policy and procedure for Intraoperative Surgical
- Participates in surgical time-out, fire risk assessment, and
case summary for each operative procedure.
- Identifies labels and handles specimens including hand-off
situations and disposition of specimen.
- Labels medications and specimen identification and disposition.
Demonstrates collegiality and leadership qualities.
- Demonstrates awareness of, and participation in performance
- Reports potential performance improvement problems, to
coordinators, core nurse and service leader, assists in problem
- Maintains compliance with department call requirements, adjusts
hours to meet patient services.
- Eligible to seat preceptor training and serve as a mentor.
- Collaborates with specialty coordinator and Staff Development
Nurse on completion of orientation processes including orientation
map, core competencies and assignments.
- Documents ongoing process of orienting staff and assists in
- Participates in orientation of team members to new equipment
- Achieves or maintains certification in profession, Certified
Surgical Technologist. Provides appropriate care specific to the
age of the customer/patient, to ensure understanding and comfort
level of treatment as outlined in the Population Specific Criteria.
- Demonstrates ability to identify opportunities for and give
individualized customer service/patient care according to
customer/patient needs. Performance Improvement.
- Demonstrates ongoing awareness of, and participation in,
performance improvement activities.
- Is alert to potential performance improvement problems, reports
information to charge nurse and managers, and actively participates
in problem solving.
- Conscientiously and continuously applies the principles and
tools learned during PI training on a daily basis. Precepting.
- Conducts need assessments.
- Conducts one on one and group training.
- Is knowledgeable of equipment used in surgical procedures,
their, reference manuals, and resources for consultation.
- Performs clinical preceptor role for specialty service and
follows core competency outline.
- Collaborates with appropriate Core Coordinator, and/or Resource
Coordinator regarding assignments of students and orientees and
documents progress or concerns.
- Documents on core competencies, records orientees/students'
progress, and suggests improvements and additional learning
- Collaborates with L&D and HROB Core Coordinator specialty
charge nurse on completion of core competencies for specialty
- Provides care and is able to provide intervention for all
patient populations. Demonstrates proper use and care of
instruments and equipment in accordance with department standard.
- Properly reports equipment malfunctions to the appropriate
charge person or equipment supervisor.
- Demonstrates correct and safe technique in the use of equipment
according to specific product information and department policy and
- Check for correct function of equipment prior to actual use and
returns to proper location. Terminally cleans equipment
- Exhibits proper use of suturing and stapling devices.
- Stocks supplies and instruments in operating room and labor and
delivery as necessary. Demonstrates adaptability and flexibility by
performing scrub duties for a variety of surgical procedures.
- Able to perform 100% of cases in specialty services.
- Maintains positive attitude.
- Accepts assignments and communicates concerns in a professional
- Complies with call-in time and policies.
- Adheres to policy and procedures of the department of patient
care services and the hospital and holds others accountable for
- Safety - complies with specific hospital and department's
policies concerning safety.
- Adjusts hours to meet patient services when cases are more or
less than scheduled.
- Maintains compliance with the department call coverage.
Maintains professional appearance, behavior and work environment.
- Provide assistance to Service Secretary as needed to include
scanning of patient information, organizing patient charts,
greeting and escorting patients to room, and answering phone.
M-F , Variable Day off. Nights, Weekends, Holiday On-Call
- Graduation from an accredited Surgical Technology program
- Satisfactory completion of annual mandatory education
- Competent performance in all Surgical procedures and
- Must meet ST Level 2 criteria required.
- Proficient in multiple specialty areas required.
- Previous experience in preceptor role preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience
- Current American Heart Association or American Red Cross Basic
Life Support (BLS) strongly preferred at time of hire, required
within 3 months of hire.
- BLS required at time of hire for this position.
- Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) certification with
currency per the Liaison Council of Certification for Surgical
Technologists required, if CEU's are not accumulated to maintain
certification, must retest for
- Ability to perform mathematical computations.
- Skilled in promoting positive relations when interacting with
patients or other customers.
- Requires working with multiple activities and dividing time and
attention to a variety of demands and working irregular hours.
- Ability to work in a team environment and solve problems in a
- Oral and written communication with staff, patients . click
apply for full job details
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Omaha , Certified Surgical Tech III, Healthcare , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...