Medical Lab Technician - Evenings
Company: Methodist Health System
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Why work for Nebraska Methodist Health System?At Nebraska
Methodist Health System, we focus on providing exceptional care to
the communities we serve and people we employ. We call it The
Meaning of Care - a culture that has and will continue to set us
apart. It's helping families grow by making each delivery special,
conveying a difficult diagnosis with a compassionate touch, going
above and beyond for a patient's needs, or giving a high five when
a patient beats a disease or conquers a personal health challenge.
We offer competitive pay, excellent benefits and a great work
environment where all employees are valued! Most importantly, our
employees are part of a team that makes a real difference in the
communities we live and work in.Job Summary:Conducts diagnostic
laboratory tests that are important in detecting, analyzing, and
treating a wide variety of diseases and medical
conditions.Responsibilities:Essential Job FunctionsPerform duties
of a Technician.
- Accurately perform, evaluate appropriateness and report
tests/analyses requested on patient specimens.
- Utilizes time efficiently to complete assignments and assist
- Quality control is completed and documented 100% of the
- Calibration is completed and documented 100% of the time.
- Routine maintenance is completed and documented 100% of the
- Achieves section/organization quality goals.
- Compliant per PPE guidelines 100% of the time.
- Identify problems and initiate immediate follow-up as necessary
with the Supervisor, Laboratory Director or Medical Director(s) to
ensure accurate, timely laboratory services by using critical
thinking skills and decisive judgment.
- Accommodates patient and laboratory needs by professionally
responding to requests for flexibility in duties, schedules, and
staffing.Document orientation, training, and education to ensure
employee competence, provide excellent services, and meet
accreditation requirements by effective verbal or written
- Organizational and department competencies are completed 100%
of the time.
- Evidence that new procedures and major procedure revisions are
read and understood.
- Assists in training new and existing staff including the review
and completion of orientation checklists and skill/training
checklists.Assist in preparation for and participate in
inspections, proficiency testing, Quality Assurance activities,
properly maintain records, prepare and update section policies and
procedures to fulfill the requirements of accrediting agencies
(i.e. College of American Pathologists (CAP), Joint Commission on
Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) by following the
- Proficiency testing is completed as assigned and submitted by
- Assists in completion of CAP checklist responses in preparation
for on-site or self-inspection as assigned.
- Assists in review/revision of procedure manuals as
- Assists Supervisor with problem resolution and follow up
reports for proficiency tests as requested.
- Assists with the completion of quality control and Quality
Assurance activities.Schedule:14:30-23:00Job Description:Job
- Associate's Degree in Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT)
- Certificate from a National Accrediting Agency for Clinical
Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) accredited MLT Program required
- Completion of an official US military medical laboratory
procedures training course of at least 50 weeks duration and have
held the military enlisted occupational specialty of Medical
Laboratory Specialist (Lab Technician) OR
- Have previously qualified as a technician under 493.1491 on or
before February 28, 1992.Experience
- One year experience in applicable section of clinical
laboratory is preferred.License/Certifications
- Current Medical Lab Technician (MLT) certification from the
American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or the equivalent
required within 6 months of hire.
- Lack of ASCP certification or the equivalent after 6 months
will result in demotion to a non-certified technician
- Knowledge of medications and treatments used in patient
- Skill in critical thinking for determining alternative
solutions or solving problems.
- Strong verbal communication skills for positive interaction
with staff and customers.
- Skill in operating a computer, including a computer mouse and
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to work in a diverse environment.
- Ability to work as a team.
- Ability to keep patient information confidential.
- Ability to read, write, and comprehend various written reports
and documents.Physical RequirementsWeight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.Physical
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- WalkingJob Hazards
- Not Related: - Biological agents (primary air born and blood
born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Rare (1-33%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors,
outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat
Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared
and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or
- Occasionally (34%-66%): - Mechanical moving
- Frequent (67%-100%):
- Electrical Shock/Static About Methodist: Nebraska Methodist
Health System is made up of four hospitals in Nebraska and
southwest Iowa, more than 30 clinic locations, a nursing and allied
health college, and a medical supply distributorship and central
laundry facility. From the day Methodist Hospital was chartered in
1891, service to our communities has been a top priority. Financial
assistance, health education, outreach to our diverse communities
and populations, and other community benefit activities have always
been central to our mission.Nebraska Methodist Health System is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age,
national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation,
gender identity, or any other classification protected by Federal,
state or local law.
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Omaha , Medical Lab Technician - Evenings, Healthcare , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...