Staff RN - Bedside 4th floor Med Surg
Company: Children's Hospital & Medical Center - Omaha
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Full Time Day Shift 36 hours/week 7:00am - 7:00pm with weekend
rotation Were searching for a Staff RN, 4 Med/Surg to coordinate
professional nursing and individualized, family centered care to
pediatric patients/families through the use of the nursing process
and clinical skills in accordance with standards and hospital
policies and procedures. Varied schedules to include weekend and
holiday patterns, 7am-7pm or 7pm-7am. We offer a Transition to
Pediatric Nursing: Adult to Pediatric Nursing program for nurses
with a BSN who have worked a minimum of one year with adults. The
program is designed to teach you everything you need to know about
pediatric nursing and culminates in eligibility for national
certification as a pediatric RN. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Conducts individualized age-specific patient/family assessments
according to defined unit scope and nursing practice standards,
appropriate collaborative problems (CPG's)/nursing diagnoses(ND's),
or protocols. (Individualized refers to the patients developmental,
cognitive, cultural, psychosocial, spiritual, and
educational/family influences and physical/medical care needs.)
- Collects and documents data related to patients individualized
- Demonstrates age-specific competency in assessment of patients
by the ability to obtain and interpret information in terms of the
patient needs, knowledge of growth and development, and
understanding of the range of treatment needed by these
- Assesses patient/family need for education and uses an
individualized approach in delivery style.
- Assesses family expectations for, and involvement in the
assessment and continuous care or treatment of the patient.
- Identifies nursing diagnoses, collaborative problems, and/or
protocols for each patient, based on assessment, at the time of
admission. Shift Assessment/Reassessment:
- Performs reassessment based on unit standards, CPG's/ND's,
protocols and changes in patient condition. Communicates changes to
appropriate persons (MD, Supervisor, family) as indicated
- Develops individualized patient/family plan of care using
CPG/NDs, and practice guidelines/protocols to meet identified
needs. (Plan of Care includes current and anticipated actions
focused on care, education, discharge needs.)
- Utilizes assessment data from the healthcare team to
individualize appropriate goals and actions for the patient,
including collaboration with the family and the healthcare
- Utilizes individualized assessment data to develop the
patient/familys plan of care.
- Formulates goals and outcomes based on assessment data.
- Revises plan of care based on patients condition,
interdisciplinary input, and family needs.
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize patient interventions based
on assessments/reassessments. Uses available child care partners to
support patient care needs as appropriate.
- Implements and evaluates nursing actions in accordance with the
individualized patient/family plan of care and patient
- Oversees that the nursing and interdisciplinary plan of
care/goals are coordinated, implemented, evaluated, and revised as
needed. Identifies the need for interdisciplinary
involvement/outside resources and follows through. Uses appropriate
resources (Charge RN, CNS/Educator, PCM, MD, etc) to ensure that
clinical outcomes are achieved.
- Incorporates critical thinking into the delivery of clinical
skills and in analyzing patient response to orders, tests, labs,
medications, and treatments.
- Demonstrates clinical competence in administering interventions
according to identified standards and age specific needs.
- Provides and/or coordinates with other disciplines
patient/family education according to identified care needs,
considering assessment of patient/familys readiness to learn
- Documentation reflects accurate assessment/evaluation,
modification, and patients response to therapy, changes in
condition, and therapeutic interventions/procedures.
- Entries in the medical record follow hospital policy (i.e.,
date, time, use of appropriate abbreviations, and legibility).
- Documentation is completed within established timeframes
including, but not limited to: Admission Assessment form, daily
Patient Flowsheet, Peripheral IV Flowsheet, Family Education
Record, and Interdisciplinary Goals.
- Reviews and updates computerized careplan to accurately reflect
the plan of care.
- Completes computerized documentation within established
timeframes, including, but not limited to: Medication
Administration Record, Allergies, Patient Information, etc.
- Completes and verifies accurate order entry in the computerized
- Ensures that discharge instructions clearly state patient care
needs after discharge.
- Accepts assignments to float to other units utilizing clinical
skill sets and appropriate resources, delegating when appropriate.
Professionally supports the assigned unit, as seen through
interactions with patients, families, area staff, colleagues and
- Accepts assignment to mentor student nurse observation
experience in unit.
- Accepts assignments to share/teach knowledge and provide
clinical support as a relief preceptor for new staff.
- Professionally seeks opportunities to help teammates during
shift as needed.
- Accepts and completes other assigned tasks in a professional
manner. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to perform a variety of duties, often changing
from one task to another of a different nature, without loss of
efficiency or composure, and be able to perform under stressful
conditions when confronted with multiple requests, demonstrating
prioritizing skills. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Diploma, Associates, or Bachelors degree from an accredited
school of nursing required
- Minimum 1 year of RN experience required
- Experience with pediatric patients preferred.
- Previous experience with EPIC preferred.
- Current and valid Nebraska RN license/RN Compact license
- Current and valid Basic Life Support (BLS) through the American
Heart Association is required.
- Current and valid Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
required, within 6 months of hire.
- Current and valid certification in nursing specialty
- Certified Pediatric Nurse certification preferred.
EOE/Vets/Disabled Make a meaningful difference improving the lives
of children! At Childrens, the regions only full-service pediatric
healthcare center, our people make us the very best for kids. Come
cultivate your passion, purpose and professional development in an
environment of excellence and inclusion, where team members are
supported and deeply valued. Opportunities for career growth abound
as we grow our services and spaces, including the cutting-edge
Hubbard Center for Children. Join our highly engaged, caring
teamand join us in providing brighter, healthier tomorrows for the
children we serve.
Keywords: Children's Hospital & Medical Center - Omaha, Omaha , Staff RN - Bedside 4th floor Med Surg, Healthcare , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...