Registered Nurse- Inpt Psych
Company: Boys Town
Posted on: March 20, 2023
GENERAL SUMMARY$5,000.00 Hiring BonusThis Registered Nurse
Inpatient Psych position provides nursing care to assigned youth by
overseeing youth health and wellness, implementing daily nursing
care routines including administration of medications, infection
control management, management of emergency care for youth,
assessing mental and physical status of youth, and keeping the
appropriate physician and administrative staff apprised of all
untoward events. This position works collaboratively with all
members of the treatment team.Schedule: 3:00-11:30 PM/ Every other
weekend/ 30 hours per week.MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Implements daily nursing care routines for youth assigned
including the administration of medication, maintaining inventories
of medication and nursing care items as needed, providing education
about medications and other health concerns to youth and their
- Oversees the general health of youth assigned by being
cognizant of infection control concerns, scheduling medical
appointments for youth as necessary and accompanying them to these
appointments when assigned, and assists with physician rounds in
collaboration with other treatment team members.
- Provides appropriate medical and/or mental health emergency
care to youth maintaining the health and safety of all youth
assigned, keeping the appropriate physician and administrative
staff apprised of all untoward events.
- Participates in the admission process completing an initial
mental status and physical assessment, informing the supervising
practitioner at the time of admission of any immediate medical
concerns, and orienting youth and family/legal guardian to the
program as appropriate.
- Follows approved program and hospital guidelines for
documentation of medical orders, physical and mental assessment,
medication administration, youth education, and other youth health
- Demonstrates continued competencies in performing special
treatment procedures under the guidance of the psychiatrist.
Complies with applicable policies and procedures for a youth
physical intervention (personal restraint) in the event of
emergency safety situations.
- Displays professionalism through willingness to act as a team
member. Demonstrates effective communication with coworkers,
supervisors, and consumers while taking responsibility for personal
and professional development through attendance at mandatory staff
meetings and training sessions. Models appropriate life skills
behaviors including hygiene, grooming, dress, manners, and
- Provides supervisory/administrative oversight.Other Duties:
- This job description incorporates the essential functions and
duties required for this position. However, other duties may be
required and assigned at times and as determined by a supervisor in
order to meet the needs of the organization.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to resolve conflict in crisis situations.
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary teams.
- Ability to communicate concisely both orally and in writing,
and work well with diverse professional staff, coworkers, and
- Ability to articulate an understanding of the mental health
needs and potential medical interventions for youth of various
- Ability to maintain appropriate levels of confidentiality.
- Ability to demonstrate tolerance to work under adverse
conditions such as constant interruptions, inappropriate behaviors,
and dealing with potential verbal and physical threats from
- Ability to help maintain a safe and positive environment for
youth and co-workers.
- Ability to utilize a variety of computer programs to manage
work; familiarity with Windows and Office programs.
- Provides patient care and education according to the patient
population served.REQUIREMENTS OF THE JOB:
- A registered nurse who is a graduate of an accredited school
with a current state license.
- Previous Behavioral Health nursing experience, preferred
- Requires demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills,
teaching ability, and willingness to be flexible in scheduling
- Must be CPR (BLS) certified
- Must be trained in the programs nationally approved personal
- Must be 20 years of age or older.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Light to medium work, occasional squatting, kneeling,
negotiating to the ground into a quadruped position, crawling,
lying on the ground while maintaining a variable static force to
restrain a child or simulate restraining.
- Requires functional use of bilateral lower extremities to
complete these tasks as the restraint required will dictate
employee position and duration of the task, lasting up to 3
- Occasional forceful exertion of the upper extremities while
restraining a child or simulating restraints that would require
function strength and range of motion the upper extremities and
trunk. Force is variable depending on restraint, may be up to 50lbs
of static force and up to 3 minutes. Walking and standing varies
throughout the day.WORKING CONDITIONS:The worker is subject to
inside environmental conditions, protection from weather
conditions, but not necessarily from temperature changes. Potential
exposure to aggressive individuals. Exposure to normal childhood
diseases.October 21, 2022 About Boys Town: Boys Town has been
changing the way America cares for children and families since
1917. With over a century of service, our employees have helped us
grow from a small boardinghouse in downtown Omaha, Nebraska, into
one of the largest national child and family care organizations in
the country. With the addition of Boys Town National Research
Hospital in 1977, our services branched out into the health care
and research fields, offering even more career opportunities to
those looking to make a real difference. Our employees are our
supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Town's mission, which is
why we are proud of their commitment to making the world a better
place for children, families, patients, and communities. Unique
perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits
to Boys Town physicians and free prescriptions under the Boys Town
Medical Plan, tuition assistance, parenting resources from our
experts and professional development opportunities within the
organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than
just a job, it is a way of life. This advertisement describes the
general nature of work to be performed and does not include an
exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys
Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates
in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or
expression, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. To
request a disability-related accommodation in the application
process, contact us at 1-.
Keywords: Boys Town, Omaha , Registered Nurse- Inpt Psych, Healthcare , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...