Medical Lab Scientist II
Company: Methodist Health System
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Why work for Nebraska Methodist Health System?At Nebraska
Methodist Health System, we focus on providing exceptional care to
the communities we serve and people we employ. We call it The
Meaning of Care - a culture that has and will continue to set us
apart. It's helping families grow by making each delivery special,
conveying a difficult diagnosis with a compassionate touch, going
above and beyond for a patient's needs, or giving a high five when
a patient beats a disease or conquers a personal health challenge.
We offer competitive pay, excellent benefits and a great work
environment where all employees are valued! Most importantly, our
employees are part of a team that makes a real difference in the
communities we live and work in.Job Summary:An intermediate Medical
Laboratory Scientist that conducts diagnostic laboratory tests that
are important in detecting, analyzing, and treating a wide variety
of diseases and medical conditions.Responsibilities:Essential
Functions Perform duties of a Medical Laboratory Scientist.
- Accurately perform, evaluate appropriateness and report
tests/analyses requested on patient specimens on all assigned
- Utilizes time efficiently to complete assignments and assist
- Quality control is completed and documented 100% of the
- Calibration is completed and documented 100% of the time.
- Routine maintenance is completed and documented 100% of the
- Compliant per PPE guidelines 100% of the time.
- Accommodates patient and laboratory needs by professionally
responding to requests for flexibility in duties, schedules, and
- Identify problems and initiate immediate follow-up as necessary
with the Technical Coordinator, Section Leader, or Medical
Director(s) to ensure accurate, timely laboratory services by using
critical thinking skills and decisive judgment.
- Performs testing with minimal supervision, not only all routine
procedures, but also more complexed procedures in their area of
expertise.Document orientation, training, and education to ensure
employee competence, provide excellent services, and meet
accreditation requirements by effective verbal or written
- Organizational and department competencies are completed 100%
of the time.
- Evidence that new procedures and major procedure revisions are
read and understood.
- Assists in training new and existing staff including the review
and completion of orientation checklists and skill/training
- Supports the education of medical laboratory students.Maintains
knowledge of regulatory and accreditation agency requirements and
in quality assurance activities.
- Proficiency testing is completed as assigned and submitted by
- Assists technical coordinator or section leader with problem
resolution and follow up reports for proficiency tests as
- Assists with the completion of quality control and Quality
- Achieves section/organization quality goals.
- Assists in preparation for inspections.Schedule:primarily 6am -
2:30pm or 6:30am - 3pmJob Description:Job RequirementsEducation
- Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Medical Laboratory Science,
or Clinical Laboratory Science, or Medical Technology
- Bachelor of Science (BS) or Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree with a
Certificate from a National Accrediting Agency for Clinical
Laboratory Science (NAACLS) accredited Medical Laboratory Science
(MLS)/Medical Technology (MT)/Clinical Laboratory Science (CLS)
- Minimum two years of experience in applicable section of
laboratory is required.License/Certifications
- Current Medical Technologist (MT) or Medical Laboratory
Scientist (MLS) Certification from the American Society for
Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or equivalent is
- Knowledge of medications and treatments used in patient care
- Skilled in critical thinking for determining alternative
solutions or solving problems required.
- Strong verbal communication skills for positive interaction
with staff and customers required.
- Skilled in operating a computer, including a computer mouse and
- Able to follow written and verbal instructions required.
- Able to work in a diverse environment required.
- Able to work as a team required.
- Able to keep patient information confidential required.
- Able to read, write, and comprehend various written reports and
- Exhibits basic knowledge of professional ethics, laws, and
- Disseminates laboratory test information in a timely
- Offers suggestions for improvement in operations
- Interacts with other healthcare providers in a professional
- Works independently with minimal errors
- Competent on 5 benchesPhysical RequirementsWeight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.Physical
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- WalkingJob Hazards
- Not Related: - Biological agents (primary air born and blood
born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Rare (1-33%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors,
outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Occasionally (34%-66%): - Mechanical moving
- Frequent (67%-100%):
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat
Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared
and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or
photochemical means) About Methodist: Nebraska Methodist Health
System is made up of four hospitals in Nebraska and southwest Iowa,
more than 30 clinic locations, a nursing and allied health college,
and a medical supply distributorship and central laundry facility.
From the day Methodist Hospital was chartered in 1891, service to
our communities has been a top priority. Financial assistance,
health education, outreach to our diverse communities and
populations, and other community benefit activities have always
been central to our mission.Nebraska Methodist Health System is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age,
national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation,
gender identity, or any other classification protected by Federal,
state or local law.
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Omaha , Medical Lab Scientist II, Healthcare , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...