Geographic Information System (GIS) Technician I
Company: Metropolitan Utilities District
Posted on: August 6, 2022
General Position Responsibilities: Under direct supervision,
enter record information from detailed drawings for gas and water
main and service projects into the District s Geographic
Information System (GIS) and train in the duties of GIS Technician
II. The GIS Technician I must successfully complete all training
and proficiencies to be recommended for advancement to the position
of GIS Technician II. Minimum Requirements:
- A High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED).
- An Associate s degree, or two (2) years of education and
training equivalent to two (2) years of college (or trade,
vocational or technical) education, with an emphasis in GIS,
geography, cartography or related fields is preferred OR
- At least two (2) years of relevant GIS editing experience, as a
primary job duty, may also be considered in place of the Associate
s degree education preference.
- At least two (2) years of GIS work experience within the last
three (3) years is preferred.
- Proficiency with ESRI ArcGIS desktop or equivalent software.
ESRI ArcGIS Pro experience is preferred.
- Attention to detail and the ability to translate communicated
information into the GIS system.
- Ability to learn new or upgraded computer software as
- Ability to accept written and verbal instruction in revising
and updating GIS in collaboration with engineers.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to assist in checking the work of others, as experience
and proficiency allow.
- Efficiently and effectively speak, read, comprehend and write
- Experience and skill in operating various specialized software
and office equipment including, but not limited to, Microsoft
Office, SAP, Open Text, large format printers, plotters, copiers,
scanners and phone systems.
- Ability to communicate with and assist internal and external
customers/co-workers professionally, regardless of
- Ability to work overtime, including weekends as required.
- Ability to work professionally and efficiently, with
increasingly limited supervision for extended periods.
- Work is primarily performed in an office setting amid normal
conditions of dust, odors, fumes, office lighting and noises.
- Employees in this position are covered under the Department of
Transportation Drug and Alcohol testing provisions. This includes
random testing. Specific Responsibilities:
- Read and interpret maps and engineering drawings, especially as
they pertain to gas and water facilities.
- Enter record information from proposed and as-built drawings,
completion reports, service cards, and various other record sources
into the District's GIS.
- Learn the District's GIS data entry standards, workflows,
requirements and procedures to continually improve personal GIS
- Research District and other records to obtain relevant
information to include, but not limited to, reporting
discrepancies/variances found and facilitating changes, as
- Assist in GIS data conversion and cleanup efforts or
- Clearly communicate gas and water facility record information
(in various forms and by various means) to District personnel and
- Copy and file various engineering records for various
- Comply with and understand all pertinent District policies,
procedures, and Construction Standards.
- Train in the duties of, and advance toward progression to, GIS
- Perform various other duties as assigned. Please ensure the
application is thoroughly filled out to be considered for this
position An Equal Opportunity Employer
Keywords: Metropolitan Utilities District, Omaha , Geographic Information System (GIS) Technician I, IT / Software / Systems , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!