Registration Specialist I
Company: Methodist Health System
Posted on: September 24, 2022
- Purpose of Job
- Registers and dismisses patients in a courteous and timely
manner, including patients in the restricted areas in MRI (Zone 3).
Creates accurate patient records during the registration process
through verification of patient demographics, financial and visit
information. Electronically verifies payer source/eligibility,
patient financial responsibility and performs point of service
collections, as appropriate. Makes referrals to financial
counselor, as appropriate. Ensures a high level of customer service
according to established criteria in the Emergency Department in
- Job Requirements
- Requires high school diploma, General Educational Development
(G.E.D) or equivalent.
- Previous health care registration, customer service, insurance
or billing experience required.
- Medical terminology preferred.
- Requires the ability to provide transportation to other campus
locations within a reasonable timeframe.
- Requires the knowledge of phone etiquette and some medical
- Strong computer skills required: Ability to open and navigate
Outlook, attachments in Word and Excel and utilize a scanner and
- Requires the skills in basic mathematics to support collections
of payments: including addition, subtraction, multiplication and
- Requires the ability to work independently and to collect data
from patients that is required for entry into the system.
- Required the ability to multitask with strong attention to
details of registration process.
- Requires the ability to relate to patients in a kind, courteous
and helpful manner.
- Requires the ability to relate to fellow workers, in all
departments of hospital, and deal with people in a crisis
- Ability to transport/escort patients and guests/family members
to appropriate locations via stairs, elevators or ramps.
- Ability to communicate with others through a glass
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Physical Activity
- Not neccessary for the position (0%):
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Distinguish colors
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Job Hazards
- Not Related:
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared
and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat
Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses)
(Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors,
outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
- Accurately registers and dismisses patients in a courteous and
- Registers patients in the electronic registration system to NMH
in a courteous and timely manner.
- Reviews and explains all registration forms prior to obtaining
signatures from the patient or patient representative.
- Performs bedside visits, as needed to complete the registration
process and point of service collections.
- Scans patient identification documents into the registration
- Follows all precautions for basic MRI safety when registering
patients in the MRI restricted areas.
- Effectively communicates with anxious and agitated people in a
- Verifies and enters insurance/payer information.
- Obtains compete and accurate payer information and scans
identification and payer documents and enters the information into
the electronic registration system.
- Verifies eligibility of coverage according to department
- Completes Medicare Secondary Payer questionnaire and other
payer specific documents (including ABN) as required.
- Uses open ended interviewing techniques to obtain accurate
insurance information from the patient.
- Advises patients of their copayment requirement in a respectful
and courteous manner. Documents and secures all payments according
- Accurately collects and posts payments according to policy as
measured by observation, feedback and monthly audits.
- Accurately performs all reconciliation procedures pertaining to
the collection of copayments.
- Safeguards cash and receipts by following established
- Notifies supervisor of any discrepancies in a timely
- Refers patients to Patient Financial Counselors, as
appropriate, and documents referrals.
- Documents all attempts for collections and reason collection
- Consistently adheres to Safety and Infection Control
guidelines, to assure a safe work environment, according to
- Immediately reports any unsafe conditions or accidents
- Exercises discretion in identifying situations which may be
inappropriate for interaction with patients. Consults clinical
staff as needed.
- Completes tasks and work responsibilities associated with a
shift, to maintain a productive department, as outlined in training
- Provides all necessary written or verbal communications
regarding tasks, incomplete work, problems, and issues to the
supervisor in a timely manner
- Displays adaptability to assure department staffing needs are
- Works additional shifts and accepts additional tasks, projects
and assignments dictated by volume, absences or administrative
- Respectful toward peers and management time by returning
- Maintains teamwork spirit, positive mentoring.
- Willingly assists with training and/or cross training of new
- Positively and actively assists with the implementation of new
procedures, schedules and job tasks necessary, to ensure success
and advocation of same.
- Contributes to department training and orientation.
- Assists co-workers as needed
- Escalates ideas instead of complaints.
- Performs periodic, situational and other duties as required.
- Operates and assists in the maintenance of all office
equipment, to assure efficient performance, as outlined in the
- Essential Functions II
- Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as
mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as
directed by management.
- Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values,
Employee Standards of Behavior and company
- Other duties as assigned.
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Omaha , Registration Specialist I, Other , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!