Family Resource Specialist I
Company: Nebraska Children's Home Society
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Job Title: Family Resource Specialist I Job Classification
(Exempt or Non-exempt): Non-Exempt Reports To: Program Supervisor
Job Summary: The Family Resource Specialist I will provide prenatal
and parenting education and support for parents and their children
(birth - 5 years) through one on one visits in the home, frequency
based on assigned level. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide weekly one on one visits in the home using the
curriculum to educate and support parents regarding prenatal
education (healthy pregnancy, child birth), breastfeeding,
parent/child interactions, child development, safety, sexual
health/family planning and parent/child health.
- Engage in tasks necessary to the provision of direct service,
including but not limited to:
- utilizing the curriculum to plan individual lessons for each
- paperwork and digital record keeping including, documentation,
assessments, monthly service plans/progress reports, transition
plans, and discharge summaries completed in accordance with agency
- driving to and from home-based appointments and occasional
- attending community meetings on behalf of families or the
- researching and knowing community resources to refer
- responding to client referrals and/or emergencies in person
within specified time frames
- Collaborate with other agencies, service providers, and
informal supports including case managers, therapists, and
relatives to advocate on behalf of clients.
- Participate in consultation supervision sessions as
- Collect statistics and implement CQI procedures as defined by
program assignment Supplemental Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complete training necessary to perform position and necessary
for professional growth
- Facilitate a team atmosphere by working in partnership with
other agency staff and promote a positive working environment.
- Represent the agency and programs in a positive manner to
clients, community organizations and the public in general.
- Show flexibility with work schedule (to be determined by
supervisor); some evening or weekend work will be required.
- Complete other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Minimum education and experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Associates Degree or 3-5 years related work experience
- Bachelor's degree in Social Work or related field
- Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Strong direct service professional skills, including:
- Commitment to empowering others to solve their own
- Belief in a nurturing family as the ideal environment for a
person and that people have the capacity to grow and change.
- Ability to develop respectful relationship with persons served
to help them gain skills and confidence.
- Ability to work collaboratively with coworkers and other
- Ability to maintain a helping role, intervene appropriately to
meet service goals, and set appropriate limits.
- Experience working with families with trauma history.
- Required knowledge and skills in the breadth of child welfare
issues and services and the functioning and processes of advocating
for families and children within the system.
- The needs of neglected, abused and exploited children and
- Family functioning and experience in or familiarity with child
- Skill in working with families who may not engage in services
- Ability to analyze and make recommendation regarding individual
cases and individual staff issues, and (frequently simultaneously)
to analyze and apply larger, systemic issues.
- Ability to make independent decisions and act accordingly, or
with minimal support from supervisor. Ability to work autonomously
and make appropriate decisions in crisis situations.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication
- Transportation and insurance that meets agency
- Successfully complete a defensive driving course sanctioned by
the National Safety Council.
- Have no more than three points assessed against his/her
Nebraska driver's license, or meet a comparable standard in the
state in which she/he is licensed to drive.
- Ability to interact with clients with sensitivity and
responsiveness to cultural and socioeconomic characteristics in the
- Ability to work in adverse conditions; bugs, rodents, odors,
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret forms, documents,
evaluations and procedure manuals.
- Ability to respond to inquiries and possible complaints from
clients and other providers.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and
draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety
of technical instruction.
- Physical demands:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel
objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee must
occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds.
- Ability to work extensively with clients.
- Corrected hearing and vision within normal range.
- Ability to safely operate a vehicle.
- Schedule demands (travel, adjustments to accommodate clients,
- May be required to work on evenings and weekend as needed.
- Site factors (work location, environment, travel, etc.):
- Majority of work is a combination of office and home based
environments. Additional work may be performed in a variety of
settings to meet department needs. Note: The physical demands and
work environment characteristics described above are representative
of those that will be encountered by a person performing the
essential duties and responsibilities of this job. Reasonable
accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential job functions. Salary Range: $18.23 -
23.50/hour How to Apply Interested candidates should visit , locate
this position, and click on "Apply Now" beneath the job description
to complete the online application form. The application must be
completed in full and submitted by the specified closing date for
consideration. Questions? Please contact Miranda Davis at or at
3549 Fontenelle Boulevard, Omaha NE 68104
Keywords: Nebraska Children's Home Society, Omaha , Family Resource Specialist I, Other , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!