Paraprofessional, Student Success Center (SSC) (Starts at $15.17 per hour)
Company: Omaha Public Schools
Posted on: March 19, 2023
Job Title: Paraprofessional, Student Success Center (SSC) /In
School Suspension (ISS) Position Purpose: Primary responsibilities
are to maintain a caring and instructional climate by providing
students with a positive neutral environment to learn
responsibility, to employ re-teaching opportunities with a variety
of prevention and intervention strategies, and to build confidence
in the student's ability to apply skills they have learned to live
situations by accepting logical consequences. This individual may
also work to provide academic assistance and work with teachers to
collect assignments. Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Interacts and communicates with administrator/trainers,
students, staff, and parents in a courteous, professional
- Records data for factual documentation, accountability, and
- Exercises crisis management methodologies and strategies to
de-escalate student behavior.
- Monitors for hostile behaviors leading to conflicts to ensure
the safety of surrounding students and staff.
- Collaborates with teachers to collect assignments and provide
- Works with and understands the needs of a diverse student
- Maintains an instructional focus among students in the
- Maintains a calm and professional demeanor in all
circumstances.Additional Duties Performs other related tasks as
assigned by supervisor and other central office administrators as
designated by the Superintendent. Equipment: This position may
require the ability to use SMART boards and iPads in addition to
basic office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and
fax machine. Must always comply with OPS's guidelines for equipment
use. Travel: Limited local travel may be required. Physical and
Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Must be able to respond rapidly in emergency situations.
- Must have organization, time management, communication, and
- Work in an office environment and school buildings.
- Ability to lift, move and reposition objects and materials-
frequently exerting force equal to lifting fifty (25)
- Contact with personnel within the district and with students
- Works under the direct supervision of the department supervisor
in order to complete day to day tasks.
- Works with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle
all situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and
maintain a positive attitude with all customers and
colleagues.Employee Punctuality and Appearance
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are
expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled
hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has
received approved leave.
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from
the employee's supervisor or building administrator.
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a
manner that reflects a positive image of Omaha Public Schools and
is appropriate for their position.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- An Associates degree, OR completion of 48 semester hours or 72
quarter hours at an institution of higher learning, OR demonstrated
proficiency in the ability to assist in the instruction of reading,
writing and mathematics via state or locally approved competency
- Background or experience in working with behaviorally
disordered students in a secondary setting preferred.
- Previous experience working in a public school setting
- Evidence of good mental and physical health.
- Ability to collaborate as a team member.
- Ability to follow oral and written directions.
- Demonstrates a positive attendance record and prior work
- Ability to use a computer required.
- Ability to work with and meet individual needs of
- Ability to comply with OPS's policies and practices for
discipline, philosophy, and guidelines.
- Displays a significant degree of professionalism and
- Ability to perform a variety of assigned record keeping
- Ability to serve as a positive, mature role model.
- Willingness to learn alternative methods of dealing with
inappropriate school behavior.Reports To: Secondary School Building
Principal Work Schedule/FLSA Status: 7.0 hours per day,
Monday-Friday, 10 Month, Non-ExemptSalary Schedule: This is a
negotiated position. Wages are administrated consistent with the
negotiated agreement. Terms of EmploymentThis position is treated
as a full-time non-exempt classified position. The terms of your
employment will be governed by applicable state laws regulating
employment in a Nebraska public school and Board of Education
policies, as those laws and policies may change from time to time.
If your position is represented by a collective bargaining
representative, then your employment will also be governed by a
negotiated agreement between OPS and that collective bargaining
representative. The offer of employment is contingent upon:
- Obtaining and providing verification of all licenses,
certificates, and other requirements for the position (e.g.,
Paraprofessionals obtaining Highly Qualified status, etc.), as
identified and maintaining all licenses, certificates, and
requirements for your position throughout employment.
- A background check which demonstrates to OPS that background is
acceptable for the position.
- Verification of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work
in the United States.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (if
required for position offered).
- Successful completion of a tuberculosis skin test (if required
for position offered).
- Successful completion of a pre-employment medical examination
to determine ability to safely and effectively perform the
essential functions of the position.Omaha public schools does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin,
religion, sex (including pregnancy), marital status, sexual
orientation, disability, age, genetic information, gender identity,
gender expression, citizenship status, veteran status, political
affiliation or economic status in its programs, activities,
employment, and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other
designated youth groups. The following individual has been
designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination
policies: Director for the Office of Equity and Diversity, 3215
Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131. ) The Omaha Public School District
is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in
its services, programs, activities, education and employment for
individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation
in the application process please contact the human resources
department at .
Keywords: Omaha Public Schools, Omaha , Paraprofessional, Student Success Center (SSC) (Starts at $15.17 per hour), Other , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...