Sr Linux System Engineer
Company: Boys Town
Posted on: March 19, 2023
Ensures the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of
information systems that support core organizational functions by
monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all networked
software and associated operating systems. Identifies,
communicates, and resolves issues in order to maximize the benefit
of systems investments. MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES: Engineers
and implements network and operating system solutions.
- Installs, maintains, administrates, and troubleshoots Linux
servers and appliances.
- Conducts routine Linux Operating System technical server
support and maintenance, with a focus on proactive problem
resolution and growth forecasting.
- Assists in maintaining technical and detailed design
documentation for Linux environments.
- Reviews system and application logs and OS behavior to
proactively monitor systems and address issues and security
- Assists with backup and recovery of Linux systems.
- Participates in Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery
design and implementation.
- Maintains security at the server operating system level,
including hardening, and patches; assists internal developers with
complex application level security and encryptions.
- Performs Linux OS and Security updates and upgrades as
required; establishes and adheres to a regular patch management
- Collaborates with operation staff to ensure smooth and reliable
operation of software and systems for fulfilling business
objectives and processes; works with executive team members,
decision makers, and stakeholders to define business requirements
and systems goals, and to identify and resolve business systems
- Works with Windows Engineers to integrate Linux systems into
the larger Windows Environment, including authentication and
- Designs and supports authentication methodologies including
Radius, Kerberos, and certificate based authentication.
- Provides orientation and training to end users for modified and
- Maintains technical adherence to external compliance mandates
and assists in the development of policies and procedures.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Working technical knowledge of current software protocols, and
Internet standards and working knowledge of network and PC
operating systems, including Microsoft Windows Server, and
- Excellent software troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent understanding of organizational goals and
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Ability to conduct research into systems issues and products as
- Ability to communicate ideas in technical, business-friendly,
and user-friendly language appropriate to both executive and
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure,
team-oriented, collaborative environment and to meet deadlines and
multi-task while maintaining quality standards.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, interpersonal and
consultative skills, and excellent critical thinking, analytical,
and problem-solving skills.
- Strong customer service orientation. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum 5 years of experience overseeing the design,
development, and implementation of systems and applications;
experience with systems planning and security required. PREFERRED
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology,
related field, or equivalent preferred, but combination of Linux
certifications and experience maybe substituted.
- Experience with Windows, Oracle, SQL, and Web Platforms
preferred. About Boys Town: Boys Town has been changing the way
America cares for children and families since 1917. With over a
century of service, our employees have helped us grow from a small
boardinghouse in downtown Omaha, Nebraska, into one of the largest
national child and family care organizations in the country. With
the addition of Boys Town National Research Hospital in 1977, our
services branched out into the health care and research fields,
offering even more career opportunities to those looking to make a
real difference. Our employees are our supporters when it comes to
achieving Boys Town's mission, which is why we are proud of their
commitment to making the world a better place for children,
families, patients, and communities. Unique perks to Boys Town
employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town
physicians and free prescriptions under the Boys Town Medical Plan,
tuition assistance, parenting resources from our experts and
professional development opportunities within the organization,
just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job,
it is a way of life. This advertisement describes the general
nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive
list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an
equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the
E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or
expression, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. To
request a disability-related accommodation in the application
process, contact us at 1-.
Keywords: Boys Town, Omaha , Sr Linux System Engineer, Other , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...