Company: Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo
Posted on: May 28, 2023
Omaha Zoological Society - Omaha, NE
Job Title: Custodian
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
About the role:
Omahas Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium is seeking a Custodian to play a
primary role in general janitorial tasks at the zoo. This position
reports directly to the Custodial Supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
- Clean and disinfect restrooms using established practices and
- Clean, dust, and wipe furniture; sweep, mop, or vacuum floors;
empty/clean wastebaskets and trash containers; replace light bulbs;
refill restroom dispensers.
- Willingness to cross train in all buildings.
- Assist with the setup of facilities for meetings, classrooms,
conferences, events, etc.
- Strip, clean, buff and apply floor sealer and floor finish to
hard surface floors, vacuum and shampoo carpets.
- Use and maintain power equipment and hand tools, buffers, auto
scrubbers, extractors, high pressure washers, high speed buffers
and vacuums, brooms, mops, and squeegees for the cleaning and
general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, furniture, etc.
- Carry out emergency procedures and assist in the evacuation of
buildings in the event of fire, animal escape, or other
- Perform cleaning related activities such as removing snow or
debris from sidewalks when called upon.
- Move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools on an incidental
- Wash accessible interior and exterior windows. Clean blinds.
Launder cleaning rags, wet mops and dust mops.
- Can be assigned to a specific building but may be required to
transition from one area to another if needed. Qualifications,
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Any combination of education, training, or experience that
provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within
constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Proven ability to handle simple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Maintain the ability to work flexible hours to accommodate zoo
- Interpersonal skills, attention to detail, ability to follow
directions, reading, writing, speaking, skills required.
- Ability to understand any and all safety requirements and
- Ability to perform the physical labor necessary. Candidates for
this position are required to pass a pre-employment background
check and drug test. Other requirements include a negative TB test
and possession of a valid drivers license or the ability to obtain
within 12 months.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Will sometimes work extended/odd hours including weekends,
holidays and some night programs.
- This position will work both inside and outside and may be
exposed to the elements during outdoor work activities.
- Must be able to walk long distances across the zoo.
- Must be able to stand, sit, kneel, bend, stoop, twist, reach
above head and climb.
- Use of step ladders and extension ladders.
- Will lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 25 pounds and
occasionally up to 50 pounds using safe and proper lifting
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of
work expected of employees in this classification. It is not
designed to contain, nor is it to be interpreted as, a
comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities,
qualifications, and objectives required of employees assigned to
Omahas Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium is an Equal Employment
Opportunity Employer as defined by the EEOC.
Keywords: Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo, Omaha , Custodian, Other , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...