Property Claim Adjuster-Desk & Field (Current & Future openings)
Company: American Family Insurance
Posted on: January 15, 2019
At American Family Insurance, we're driven by our customers and employees. That's why we provide more than just a job - we provide opportunity. Whether you're already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what's next, you're in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.Quick Stats:Job ID: R10790 Property Claim Adjuster-Desk & Field (Current & Future openings) (Evergreen) (Open)Summary:The current field openings are:
Colorado Springs, CO
Western Slope CO (Vail, Aspen, etc.)
Joliet, IL and surrounding areas
Libertyville, IL and surrounding areas
The current desk positions are:
Small Structure - remote (any location)
The Property Claim Field Adjuster position supports the Claim Division goal of ensuring customer service industry leadership and partners with agency to deliver seamless claim service across multiple states. An experienced adjuster who has achieved mastery in and performs all areas of property claim adjustment activities with the highest degree of competency and independence. Processes and continues to develop a mastery of complex property field claims that require on-site inspection on a routine basis required of an experienced property claim adjuster. Evidences effective performance in the areas of customer, agency and public relations.Responsibilities:Travel Requirements
- Must be willing to travel for Catastrophe duty if necessary.
- This position requires travel up to 50% of the time.Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Demonstrated ability to efficiently and effectively handle simple to moderately complex P/C claims.
- Demonstrated deep understanding and skill related to each phase of the claim handling process and/or estimation, restoration and construction experience.
- Nontraditional work hours are expected.
- Thorough understanding of policies and endorsements related to P/C insurance coverages.
- Successfully applied knowledge of each phase of the claim handling process
- Valid driver's license required plus an acceptable driving record.Physical Demands
- This position requires the ability to climb or balance between 1 and 33% of the time (applies to field position only).
- This position requires the ability to work with distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more) for extended periods of time (applies to field position only).
- This position requires the ability to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl between 1 and 33% of the time (applies to field position only).
- This position requires the ability to lift up to 50 pounds between 1 and 33% of the time.Working Conditions
- This position requires the ability to work in high, precarious places between 1 and 33% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to work with exposure to outside weather conditions between 66 and 100% of the time (applies to field position only).Additional Job Information:
Job Description:Primary AccountabilitiesEstimating Loss & Damages (15%)
- Gathers information via on-site inspections, and researches via phone and internet to determine replacement costs for both structure and contents. Complete building inspections meeting OSHA guidelines.
- Prepares accurate estimates by utilizing electronic estimating tools and systems, replacement research results and finally contractor data to establish fair and competitive pricing within Fair Claims Acts.
- Determines when to repair or replace structural and personal property loss items dependent on careful review of factors involved.
- Sets reserves within authority and recommends settlement values when loss exceeds authority.
- Completes factual reports in a timely manner with company corporate standards and state regulations.
- Maintains and controls additional living expense exposure.Investigation (20%)
- Within authority, investigates cause and origin of claims by contacting the appropriate parties including insureds, claimants, agents, attorneys, contractors, other adjusters, public personnel, etc. Checks for prior claims and recognizes environmental exposures.
- Identifies and coordinates others to assist with complex issues such as court interpretations, structural design and mold. Assistance may be sought from Legal, company personnel, and experts, e.g. engineers.
- Recognizes pertinent issues and formats questions to obtain recorded or written statements to properly resolve the assigned claims. Handles claims on a good faith basis.
- Recognizes when to secure public documents to complete a claim file investigation. Secures, preserves and maintains evidence in a legal manner.
- Recognizes and investigates losses involving subrogation and salvage potential. Uses knowledge of third party and tort liability.
- Identifies and investigates fraud files within authority and handles complex fraud files. Involves and coordinates investigation with SIU (Special Investigations Unit) when necessary.Policy Determination & Analysis (10%)
- Interprets and determines policies and contract coverages and applies to all parties for assigned losses. Interprets claim history coverages. Selects proper loss codes based on policy type.
- Identifies state-specific legislation and legal precedent based on prior legal cases for assigned geographical area. Seeks assistance as needed.
- Utilizes company Claim Bulletins, manuals and best practices. Demonstrates knowledge of underwriting guidelines, inspects risks and makes recommendations to the Underwriting Department as needed.
- Applies decision making process to available data to determine extent of coverage or non-coverage and communicates results to appropriate parties.Negotiation, Settlement (15%)
- Handles claim negotiations by settling within authority and providing the best customer experience in the industry.
- Provides a clear explanation of the estimate to the customer, answers all questions and processes the claim payment.
- Recognizes the need for and obtains non-waiver as needed. Recognizes the need for and sends Reservation of Rights letters.
- Recognizes, controls and resolves disputes with tact and diplomacy. Notifies or directly involves the agent in the dispute resolution. Utilizes arbitration, appraisal and alternate dispute resolution as needed. Recognizes when assistance is needed and obtains it.File Management (15%)
- Actively manages individual claim inventory and works toward meeting cycle-time goals for closing files. Claim inventory will focus on complex and highly complex claims within a given authority level that require on-site inspection, face-to-face contact with customers, and HRP (Homeowner Repair Program) reinspections. Maintains a mobile office for settling claims. These claims include but are not limited to structure damage, smoke, water and fire losses that require additional documentation and extensive investigation other than provided by the care center due to complex coverage issues, fraud indicators, involvement of public adjustors or need for specialty vendors (engineers, etc.)
- Utilizes the electronic integrated claim system to complete and document actions throughout the life of the file.
- Conducts initial review of claims received to identify prior actions taken (e.g. services provided by the Customer Care Center and appointments scheduled) and determine next steps.
- Contributes to the team environment by assisting with claims from other adjusters inventories in the adjuster's absence. Responds to customer inquiries, makes appropriate decisions and closes file as needed.
- Assists with claims from desk adjusters when on-site inspections are required.
- Makes independent decisions and self-supervises most files but recognizes when assistance is needed. Maintains a global view of the property claim workflow in order to provide customers with appropriate, accurate and timely information throughout the life cycle of their claim.Agency Relationship (15%)
- Establishes rapport with agents and builds on-going relationships by including agents in the claim handling process as appropriate.
- Partners with agency to provide seamless customer service. Jointly identifies opportunities for process improvements and establishes and implements action plans to address them.
- Facilitates communication between customers, agents, vendors, third party administrators and other employees. Proactively provides agents with important claim related information; provides all parties with claim process and status as appropriate; answers questions or redirects to other areas.
- Explains and discusses any circumstances that may affect customer service with agency, vendors, third part administrators or other claim personnel. Includes agents in problem resolution as appropriate.
- Provides agents with claim handling information via phone conversations, office visits or presentations at district meetings.Additional Assignments (10%)
- Conducts effective training for Claims personnel, agents and others as required.
- Participates in claim committee meetings and claim-related projects as needed.
- Performs disaster claim duty as necessary.HRP & Vendor Programs (5%)
- Understands and explains the HRP (Homeowner Repair Program) and other vendor programs to insureds and claimants.
- Develops relationships with HRP contractors and content-replacement and specialty vendors. Maintains contacts during the life cycle of the file.
- Conducts HRP contractor inspections.Stay connected: Join our Talent Community!LI:CP1
Keywords: American Family Insurance, Omaha , Property Claim Adjuster-Desk & Field (Current & Future openings), Other , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!