Lead Respiratory Care Pract
Company: Methodist Health System
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Why work for Nebraska Methodist Health System?
At Nebraska Methodist Health System, we focus on providing
exceptional care to the communities we serve and people we employ.
We call it The Meaning of Care - a culture that has and will
continue to set us apart. It's helping families grow by making each
delivery special, conveying a difficult diagnosis with a
compassionate touch, going above and beyond for a patient's needs,
or giving a high five when a patient beats a disease or conquers a
personal health challenge.
We offer competitive pay, excellent benefits and a great work
environment where all employees are valued! Most importantly, our
employees are part of a team that makes a real difference in the
communities we live and work in.
The Lead Respiratory Care Practitioner is responsible for
overseeing the coordination and delivery of quality care to
patients according to their respiratory needs by the Advanced
Respiratory Care Practitioners. The Lead Respiratory Care
Practitioner will provide assessment of respiratory patients with
acute and chronic illnesses, to ensure delivery of clinically
appropriate respiratory care procedures as prescribed by the
medical staff for neonate, pediatric, adolescent and adult
Essential Job Functions
Performs routine and complex modalities of respiratory care
independent of direct supervision.
- Demonstrates competency on all modalities performed at the
- Assists with therapies and administering ventilator support to
patients as needed.
- Upon notification, responds immediately to code blue and rapid
- Performs airway management and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
(CPR) as necessary. Performs arterial line insertions when
- Assists with inpatient and outpatient bronchoscopies as
- Assists with Nitric Challenges in the absence of the Team
Leader. Documents procedures in patient record according to
- Documents patient assessment, interventions and progress in the
electronic medical record.
- Updates the patient care plans and goals to reflect appropriate
patient care needs.
- Documentation is pertinent, accurate, and completed in a timely
manner. Assures all activities are completed by assigned staff by
coaching, mentoring, and role modeling regarding patient care
- Supervises/ evaluates care provided during assigned shift.
- Redirects therapists to demonstrate core values to promote a
positive work environment.
- Gives input and assists with completion of staff performance
evaluations and developmental plans.
- Serves as a resource person to assigned care providers as
- Reports issues/ trends to System Service Leader and/or
follows-up with appropriate staff. Assures positive customer
relations are maintained with hospital personnel, patients,
visitors and physicians.
- Assures shift report, rounds and Situation Background
Assessment Recommendation (SBAR) are complete, pertinent, and
communicated to appropriate persons to maintain continuity of
- Collaborates and coordinates with other Respiratory leaders and
hospital personnel to facilitate patient care.
- Assists staff in dealing with customer concerns as needed.
- Encourages utilization of Situation Background Assessment
Recommendation (SBAR) format to maintain continuity of care.
- Uses communication board and patient care plan to keep nurse or
other caregivers updated on patient's progress.
- Communicates to appropriate personnel regarding unresolved
issues. Assures all departmental operational activities are
- Demonstrates teamwork with all therapists, clinical
coordinator, bronchoscopy therapist, and respiratory care assistant
and getting their cooperation.
- Assigns therapies and miscellaneous duties to therapists.
- Monitors and responds to any patient or personnel issues as
- Monitors staff assignments and assures all staff complete
assignments prior to the end of their shift. Manages environment
and/or patient care situations to assure situations involving risks
- Reports issues/ trends to System Leader.
- Provides input into the development and revision of policy and
- Assures completion and follow up on Clinical Variance Reports,
Patient / Family concerns, and staff issues.
- Monitors on an ongoing basis environmental safety issues and
appropriate interventions take. e.g. refrigerator check and
cleaning, microwave check and cleaning.
- Meets quality standards and Joint Commission on Accreditation
of Healthcare Organizations(TJC), Centers for Medicare/Medicaid
Service (CMS) guidelines (ready for survey at all times.) Works
with Respiratory Care Coordinator to maintain and coordinate/
assessment of all new/ transfer employees within the care process
to assure competency of new staff.
- Coordinates new hires orientation with clinical coordinator and
- Works with Coordinator to assist with the mentoring,
supervising, and training of all Respiratory Care students. Assures
appropriate utilization of human resources, supplies/equipment, and
- Assists with scheduling and staffing by utilizing Kronos
scheduling system and following departmental staffing
- Adjusts staffing appropriate to census/guidelines and budget on
a shift by shift basis.
- Monitors department activities to ensure optimal patient care
and appropriate use of end of shift overtime.
- Identifies supply and equipment utilization problems and
ensures appropriate inventions.
- Orders, monitors, and returns rental equipment as needed.
- Completes schedule change requests and staffing requests to
fill staff vacancies on the schedule. Assists with initiating
homecare setups for patients requiring respiratory needs.
- Assists with facilitating respiratory homecare setups.
- Assures all staff is competent with trach teaching.
- Assures all staff documents tracheostomy/laryngectomy teaching
in the patient's electronic medical record.
- Assures all staff updates patient care plans and goals to
reflect appropriate tracheostomy/laryngectomy patients' needs are
met. Develops/ reviews/ revises plan of care as needed to provide
optimum patient care outcome.
- Receives and interprets physician orders according to
professional field of knowledge.
- Evaluates patients in cooperation with attending
- Recommends appropriate care based on American Association of
Respiratory Care (AARC) clinical practice guidelines.
- Implements Respiratory Care protocols. Helps mentor staff to
attain Department Goals and abide by Hospital Core values.
- Conducts patient rounding to assure patient satisfaction.
Reports patient feedback to therapists.
- Patient Satisfaction > 95% by survey.
- Assists staff with implementing new protocols.
- Employee satisfaction > 95% by survey. Performs technical
skills competently and independently to assure patient safety.
(Professional Development, Autonomy).
- Able to competently perform technical skills
- Is accountable to learn new skills and equipment within areas'
specifications and time frames. Respected by peers and staff as a
- Is supportive of management decisions and promotes positive
reinforcement amongst staff members regarding management
- Abides by the Leadership Standards of Behavior.
- Abides by Hospital's Core Values.
- Advanced knowledge of respiratory care principles, practices
and procedures such as management skills, research results,
diagnostic methodologies, and new techniques normally acquired
through completion of an Associate of Science Degree in Respiratory
Care required. Bachelors of Science Degree preferred.Experience
- Minimum 1-2 years of Respiratory experience
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (R.R.T.) with the National
Board of Respiratory Care required.
- Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP) license by the state of
- Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
strongly preferred at time of hire, required within 3 months of
- Current American Heart Association Advanced Cardiac Life
Support (ACLS) Certification required.
- Current American Heart Association Pediatric Advanced Cardiac
Life Support (PALS) Certification required within 6 months of
- Current American Heart Association Neonatal Respiratory Program
(NRP) Certification required within 6 months of hire.
- Satisfactory completion of annual mandatory education
- Requires a high degree of ability and skill in written and
verbal communication to accurately relay appropriate and high
quality recommendations to other members of the patient care
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work.
- Skill in the use of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel,
Outlook) and patient charting software as applicable.
- Knowledge of advanced respiratory care principles, practices
and procedures. Physical Requirements
Keywords: Methodist Health System, Omaha , Lead Respiratory Care Pract, Healthcare , Omaha, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...